Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

N-reg aircraft and European / EASA licenses / licences (merged)

LeSving, may I suggest that you write an e-mail to [email protected] and ask what the legal basis for the barriers to operating N-reg aircraft based in Norway? They are quite good at responding to mail although it may take a few weeks. Then you can report back…

Last Edited by Aviathor at 17 Sep 15:41
LFPT, LFPN

LeSving, may I suggest that you write an e-mail to [email protected] and ask

Good point, but they will only send me a link of the AIC where it is all explained, and the updated (since 2012) law. It is straight forward really. This is also what allows N-regs (or whatever reg) to fly in Norway without prior permission, as well as allows European experimentals to do the same. It is also the reason why microlights have to obtain a prior permission.

The perhaps main thing that can be questioned is the practice of LT to give this permission for 6 months at a time, and no more than 12 consecutive months (for people living in Norway to fly inside Norway with their foreign registered aircraft), or until the airworthiness runs out. But the answer to this question is most certainly some “we are responsible for a safe airspace, and that is how we do it” kind of answer.

This will not change unless someone can show that they are doing something that is not in accordance with the Chicago Convention, EASA regulations or the Norwegian law. Parking limits, or lack of such, most certainly won’t do any helpful.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I must say that the AIC I pretty clear and quotes Norwegian air law paragraph 2.2 that I believe LeSving quoted in a previous post… Foreign aircraft are allowed to fly into Norway, out of Norway, or overfly Norway but cannot operate within Norway over any length of time without special permission issued for 6 months, max 12 consecutive months.

But that is not the whole story: there are exceptions
2. fremmed nasjonalitet som i henhold til denne loven eller forskrift gitt med hjemmel i denne loven skal likestilles med norsk nasjonalitet,
3. nasjonalitet i fremmed stat som har sluttet overenskomst med Norge om rett til slik fart eller

Some registries may be considered as “equivalent” to the LN registry
There may exist treaties with other states that allows aircraft registered in those states to operate in Norway.

I wonder whether such treaties exist, with what countries, and what other registries may be considered equivalent to LN.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 18 Sep 15:27
LFPT, LFPN

Where is

any length of time

defined?

If it is not defined, such a law is meaningless.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That was my wording. To the letter of the text my understanding is that they are allowed to fly in and out of Norway, to overfly the country, but they are not allowed to fly within Norway. Mind you that the AIC explicitly refers to Norwegian citizens… Or rather Norwegian residents.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 18 Sep 17:15
LFPT, LFPN

to the letter of the text my understanding is that they are allowed to fly in and out of Norway, to overfly the country, but they are not allowed to fly within Norway.

Yet that also means nothing useful, because a Norwegian resident would be legal to fly UK to Trondheim but would not be legal to fly on to Tromso. Also any diversion within Norway would be illegal.

This stuff sounds as bad as the EASA FCL attack on N-regs, with the “operator residence” wording But then most people I know think that part of EASA FCL was written in a bar… and definitely was a private project of several individuals in there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yet that also means nothing useful, because a Norwegian resident would be legal to fly UK to Trondheim but would not be legal to fly on to Tromso. Also any diversion within Norway would be illegal.

No, you cannot deduce that from the wordings in the law, or the Chicago Convention. What you can deduce, is what the AIC say. If you get an aircraft to be used for private flying within Norway, then this aircraft must be registered in Norway, or some EASA-land (since 2012) because Norway has adopted EASA regulations. There is no clear cut line here, for how much flying within Norway would be considered “too much”, but clearly your example is way too strict, and the operations mentioned in the AIC is not according to law.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Friends,

read the blog, but still have the following question:

I have a PPL IR rating issued by LBA.
Last weekend I found my dream a/c (a wonderful Bonanza), but it is N-registered and cannot be converted to D-registration.

Really considering buying the plane, think I have to decide next week.

Any hints on how to proceed…

EDMA

License-wise, you have two choices: either get an FAA Part 61.75 license (what we call a “validation” in Germany), plus the validation of your EASA IR (this requires a short written test). All this can theoretically be done without ever travelling to the US, but will cost you some money. The other option is to get a full (stand-alone) FAA license plus the validation of you EASA IR. Again, this can probably be done entirely in Europe, but most people would go to the US for a week or so to get it all done.

There are pros and cons to both solutions, but usually, the recommendation is to do go for the second option.

Getting an N-reg. instead of a D-reg is a wise thing, especially if it’s an older Bonanza. It will save you thousands over the years (plus a lot of headaches which would come from dealing with LBA and EASA).

Last Edited by boscomantico at 20 Sep 20:01
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Manitu,

In the immediate term you can fly the Bo in Germany on your LBA licence. But only in Germany.

Then organize to get the Part 61.75 license with the Foreign IR add-on….that is actually enough….you will still need to keep your EASA IR current for the FAA Licence to be valid…..which you will need to do in any case post April 2015 (or perhaps 2016) if you reside in the EU

Getting a standalone FAA PPL and IR is a lot more hassle but as Bosco says, it is possible to do it entirely in Europe….as I did. But this can be a longer term project if you want

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 21 Sep 07:30
YPJT, United Arab Emirates
Sign in to add your message