Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

N-reg aircraft and European / EASA licenses / licences (merged)

Thanks!

I would need a “quick fix” – a “validation” being done here in Europe.
Could you please target me to any resources in the internet or provide me with an adress for more information?

I think in the long term I will make a standalone FAA PPL (IR). But this needs some preparation and I am too busy
to do it this year…

EDMA

Does anyone know the answer to the following situation. We have a N Reg light jet which is flown by us using our FAA IR licences – the type rating is on our FAA licences not on our EASA licences. Recently one of our members was ill and had his CAA and FAA medicals suspended. Thankfully, the individual has now had the all clear and his CAA medical is now current again, but the FAA medical is not. The individual is insistent that this is not an issue and that they can fly IFR in UK airspace in the N Reg jet using EASA licence backed by the recent UK medical being back in force. Any thoughts??

He should apply to get the type rating on his EASA licence limited to N reg. Can’t use an FAA type rating without a medical and can’t fly N-reg in UK without the type rating.

EGTK Oxford

Thank you – it’s what I thought but can’t get through to anyone in the CAA!

According to widespread reports and ex-CAA insider info I have, there has not been anyone at the “customer interface” at the UK CAA who knows anything about regulations, for several years. They have all left.

A huge change from say 10 years ago.

I have some notes on license cross-privileges here and I am sure Jason is right about the Type Rating.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m sorry to dig this up guys, but I thought it was better than starting a new thread.

Has anyone come up with a definitive answer whether one could fly complex and HP aircraft (as per FAA definitions) on EASA papers (within the country of issue)?

Had a case today where we needed to test a Baron 58, and the pilot did not have a HP endorsement on his FAA multi, but he holds a current EASA MEP (with VP/RU/T).

Norway, where a gallon of avgas is ch...
ENEG

Definitive answers are hard to come by with today’s complicated licensing rules.

But general wisdom would say yes. If the pilot does have the possibility to chose which license’s priviliges to exercise, he could fly on the EASA license (as long as the flight remains within the boundaries of the country that issued the license). And when he flies on his EASA license, things like FAA endorsements become irrelevant, because they only pertain to the FAA licensing rules.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thank you. This is my interpretation as well. I wish the CAA had a “public relations” department who could answer emails promptly or even a web-chat. I guess the problem is that the rules and regs are so complicated they need to consult several instances to be able to form a vague enough answer.

Last Edited by NorFlyer at 31 Oct 16:48
Norway, where a gallon of avgas is ch...
ENEG

boscomantico wrote:

If the pilot does have the possibility to chose which license’s priviliges to exercise, he could fly on the EASA license (as long as the flight remains within the boundaries of the country that issued the license)

That is my understanding too. I wouldn’t say it is convenientional wisdom. It is in FAR 61 IIRC

Last Edited by Aviathor at 31 Oct 17:55
LFPT, LFPN

The Whittaker interpretation is useful. It is specifically about § 61.3(a)(l)(v) (“when operating an aircraft within a foreign country, a pilot license issued by that country may be used.”)

“To determine whether the specific UK pilot license held by the operator permits the operation of a particular aircraft, whether registered in the US or not, one must look to the applicable regulations of the UK.”

Sign in to add your message