Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

National CAA policies around Europe on busting pilots who bust controlled airspace (and danger areas)

Without consciously realising it I’d basically stopped looking at the other UK GA sites, I hadn’t thought about it all now until mentioned above. Well done Peter.

It seems so counter productive to me for supposedly magazines that support pilots and GA to not want to have meaningful discussion about something which I think clearly will have a negative effect on GA. Let alone what seems to be a pretty unpleasant abuse of power.

Much like the reported not allowing of questions in the gasco lectures diminishes any potential value they may have.

Peter, I am truly appalled that you have been banned. I am sorry, although I know you dont care, which is exactly right.

In some ways I am surprised. The Editor in Chief I believe has done some very useful work on this subject, and has been prepared to raise the matter on the forum, despite, or should I say in spite of a concerted effort by a number of contributors to prevent any debate what so ever. I would not have expected this of him.

I find it truly astonishing some of the contributors on that forum are far more interested in playing the person on any debate that might be vaguely controversial and apposite to a few subjects of key interest to GA.

I think it greatly diminishes the integrity of Flyer, which, for me, is a great shame.

I type this post with a very heavy heart.

Hard to know what to say about all this.

When you are starting up a forum, you have to – to use the old saying – start as you mean to go on. You cannot change policy afterwards. The participants’ profile will be very much according to the mod policy (it is just the way internet communities work) and if you try to change that later you will have a civil war. Accordingly, the forums which started when the internet became popular c. 1998-2000 will never change.

EuroGA was started with what has proved to be a good working set of rules. The two people who started it (David and myself) had many years of experience of GA forums and we knew what was wrong with the existing ones. My only real regret on EuroGA mod policy is that 1 or 2 very difficult (and very “clever”) characters were not removed rapidly, in the early years…

Yet again I am pleased we don’t carry advertising, and are not a forum attached to any GA lobby organisation.

Otherwise it’s not worth worrying about. Many years ago I got removed from the Socata owners group (a mainly US group) for disagreeing with its owner, over something really trivial EuroGA is enough work for me and I am not looking for extra work.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter – very well said.

I also agree and one forum is more than enough.

Another month’s data is out in the UK in the usual place

This time 8 got sent down to Gasco. I suppose activity is way down right now so it’s hard to know what this means for the trend.

We already know they don’t bust student pilots (that would probably cause the student to pack it in instantly) but one instructor got his FI rating removed.

Administrator

Another month’s data is out in the UK in the usual place

Traffic obviously well up; March wx was quite nice.

The Busts Department is as busy as the previous month, with very similar numbers

With just 8, I don’t see enough business for Gasco to run the courses, and anyway they can’t due to corona virus distancing requirements. One can only hope that the CAA doesn’t prosecute those who didn’t manage to complete the Gasco “course” within the prescribed 90 days.

OTOH the Gasco numbers will keep accumulating so they will have enough for a “full room” when they get going again

Administrator

They won’t be able to do it by ZOOM meeting then?

But, hey, maybe they are.

If they do, I am sure they will have a rule that everybody must have their webcam switched on.

Administrator

They should do it by zoom meeting. It would save GASCo the cost of hiring the venue, and save the attendees the cost of travel/staying in a hotel. For a course like this there’s absolutely no reason not to hold it online.

Andreas IOM

I would agree if the intention was to educate.

But most of those who attended will feel otherwise. The clear intention is to drive it into the pilot’s head that infringing is a bad idea, which creates a huge inconvenience and significant expense for most. It’s meant to be a punishment which leaves a foul taste in one’s mouth, and which is not easily forgotten.

Also

• there is a session near the end where the delegates divide up into groups and plan a short VFR flight around CAS
  • the organisers supposedly monitor each delegate’s enthusiasm and participation and report to the CAA that he/she was doing it satisfactorily; I am not sure how that could be assessed in an online conference
Administrator
Sign in to add your message