Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

National CAA policies around Europe on busting pilots who bust controlled airspace (and danger areas)

gallois wrote:

The statement was made in an interview with David Chapman Director of the CAA’s Safety Regulation Group not long after he was appointed.

Isn’t that the guy who Must Not Be Named in EuroGA?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

No, that was a Robert James Gratton. He is extremely well known, with a vast GA social media activity range, so his demand to have his name removed was a mystery (especially as most of the instances were posted by his old friend Timothy). Ex RAF ATCO. There are many rumours that he is no longer in that job, but I have not been able to verify them, and I have seen some recent correspondence where he is still there under the title of CAA Principal Airspace Regulator. Note there are a number of Grattons in this area; one is his son (also working in the CAA) and another, Guy Gratton, was involved in aviation at Cranfield but reckons he is not related. Yesterday I heard there is/was a CAA examiner of the same name too, plus another airline pilot.

I have not heard of David Chapman before. He is readily found on google and appears to be some sort of airline pilot who does freelance consulting. Of course, he is ex RAF Standard CAA profile really.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Curious if any of these guys fly piston GA things like red TigerMoth with flying suits or turbine PA64T with 6ft tall blonde to LIPV?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

but shows a total lack of understanding of flying a plane in the GA environment.

I think that is true most places. Too much focus on rules, regulations and “safety” by people (GA and others) who has too weak ties to GA and too little GA experience.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

It is probably fairly normal for the people involved in this process to be staffed by people from the wrong background. It is standard “self selection” on personality, which is a common issue across the job spectrum.

Page 6 here is of interest. It is followed by a largely disingenuous response from “the Company” (the CAA, not the CIA which “the company” normally means ).

GAFB_Edition_89_Aug_2021_eVersion_pdf

Administrator

Latest UK CAA data shows that the gasco “course” is getting good business again, if not back to the great days of ~20/month at £200 each. A fair number of license removals (they call them “provisional suspensions” because there is no appeal route for the pilot0 where the pilot does not fly again until he meets certain requirements which are not documented here, but probably back to school and a skills test

Administrator

Less hassle when you are the ex-PM of Switzerland and you bust a ZRT

https://www.rts.ch/info/suisse/13239328-aux-commandes-dun-avion-alain-berset-contraint-datterrir-par-larmee-francaise.html

Last Edited by Ibra at 13 Jul 16:50

There was recently a presentation by the CAA pilot busting chief at Shoreham. This presentation was later sent out:
AI_Prevention_Shoreham_pdf

I didn’t go to it; after all the hassle I/we had, I could not get myself to do it. But others did and took notes, one of which is below. Some of those are not in the above presentation e.g.

Well, you can get a suspension which is the same thing.

CAA_Airspace_Infringement_Prevention_Briefing_Shoreham_Airport_20th_June_22_pdf

Administrator

Ibra wrote:

Less hassle when you are the ex-PM of Switzerland and you bust a ZRT

He is now being excused because the controller telling him about the bust after it happened got one letter of the plane’s registration wrong. “It’s the fault of the French authorities”, reports the Swiss radio and television: https://www.rts.ch/info/suisse/13264697-une-erreur-des-autorites-francaises-serait-a-lorigine-de-latterrissage-force-dalain-berset.html

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 24 Jul 21:15

Of course, it’s ATC fault

PS: it seems like Mode-S error (O = D) on screen? I was used to be called N32IKL instead of N321KL

Sign in to add your message