Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

National fuel planning regulations around Europe

Can readers help me with the national fuel planning regulations in different EU states please?

For example, the UK requirement is in Art 86(3)(e)(i) of the Air Navigation Order
in the case of a flying machine or airship:
(i) sufficient fuel, oil and engine coolant (if required) are carried for the intended flight, and that a safe margin has been allowed for contingencies;

For the FAA
§91.151 Fuel requirements for flight in VFR conditions.
(a) No person may begin a flight in an airplane under VFR conditions unless (considering wind and forecast weather conditions) there is enough fuel to fly to the first point of intended landing and, assuming normal cruising speed—
(1) During the day, to fly after that for at least 30 minutes; or
(2) At night, to fly after that for at least 45 minutes
and §91.167 for IFR

Can you tell me the equivalent for France, Germany, Italy, Sweden etc? I need a reference (preferably a link) to the rule itself, not just a summary please.

Germany

http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/luftbo/BJNR002620970.html

§ 29 – essentially “sufficient for a safe execution of the flight also under unexpected circumstances”

Seems to be pretty much the same as in the UK.

Last Edited by europaxs at 19 Nov 13:38
EDLE

I assume that you are talking about regulations for private flights?

Sweden. (LFS 2007:58, http://www.transportstyrelsen.se/TSFS/LFS%202007_58.pdf)

Translation of chapter 2

Fuel and oil supply
38 § A flight shall not be commenced unless the airplane carries fuel and oil in such an amount that the flight can be conducted safely. Due consideration shall be given to the winds en-route, other meteorological conditions and expected delays in flight.
39 § When flying under VFR, fuel and oil shall be carried in at least the estimated amount required for the flight to the site of intended landing, and thereafter for a flight time of 45 minutes, and additionally for delays during the planned flight. For a training flight with a flight instructor in the traffic circuit of the departure airport, reserves may be reduced to 30 minutes.
40 § When flying under IFR, fuel and oil shall be carried in at least the estimated amount required for the flight to the site of intended landing, and, when appropriate to the alternate and thereafter for a flight time of 45 minutes. Due consideration must also be given to expected delays during the planned flight.
41 § For airplanes with turbine engines, the 45 minute fuel reserve according to 39-40 §§ above, may reduced to 30 minutes provided the consumption is computed based on the holding speed at 1500 feet (450 meters) above the alternate or destination airport in the standard atmosphere and with the estimated airplane weight on arrival.
42 § Fuel calculations shall be based on the manufacturer’s data for flight without leaning or based on measured and verified consumption for individual aircraft and the intended flight conditions in question. Fuel capacity shall be given as volume and time.
43 § If the final reserve has begun to be consumed in flight under IFR, an emergency shall be declared. When flying under VFR, an emergency shall be declared when a airport useable for landing can not be reached using the remaining fuel

PS. Google translate did a surprisingly good job of a first translation into English.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

I assume that you are talking about regulations for private flights?

Yes, I should have made that clear — for private flights. Ironically, I’m currently sitting in a rulemaking group drafting the rules for CAT. :)

In France the required final reserve is 20 min for VFR and 45 min for IFR. You need to have enough fuel to taxi, takeoff, cruise and land at your destination. If you do not take wind into account, you need a route reserve of 10%. If you do plan for the effect of wind, you need a 5% route reserve. On top of that you may want to have fuel for contingencies (alternate).

I suppose the rules in Norway are identical to what they are in Sweden – 45 minutes final reserve regardless of flight rules.

LFPT, LFPN

What is important to note (but bookworm will know this) is that so far, rules on fuel requirements have usually been dpedendant upon aircraft registration, not on the country you’re flying in. So, it’s not “in Germany…”, but “on D-reg,..” etc.

The bew European OPS rules constitute a major change to that, as they apply to aircraft operating within Europe.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 19 Nov 19:07
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

well, to be honest, I do not know what are the legal requirements for CZ and I do not care. Usually too low to my standard and good practice of planning landing with 1/4 of tanks…I know, I am ultraconservative but I am sure I am not alone….
I have already twice faced engine stopped during the flight due to lack of fuel – but in both cases it was an intention when flight testing the unusable fuel. And directly above 2 km long runway….

LKKU, LKTB

Note that Bookworm was after references to the national regs.

These are not easy for a “foreigner” to dig out because they are in the local language.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

references to the national regs.

ok, you are right. CZ – 45 min IFR, 30 min VFR, 45 min VFR night.

LKKU, LKTB

I have heard from someone working at EASA that the legal reserves will be dropped in legislation for private flights. Of course, you still have to use good judgement, but the legal requirement will go out. Now, don’t ask me more please as I was informed while having lunch with the guy and I am not sure at which stage it is now so I don’t know more.

EDLE, Netherlands
31 Posts
Sign in to add your message