Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Near miss at Konstanz airfield

In reality you are far more likely to have some kind of ’’other’’ emergency than collide with some one else in the air. That said, it does happen. How to mitigate? Not sure. For 100 years the premise, see and be seen, keep a look out, scan the open sky, have been mantra. Recently technology has IMO given a false sense of security to pilots. It works both ways, pilots brought up on glass cockpit and tech, truly believe what the tech tells them, even when the eyes and brain are showing a different story. Others brought up on steam, and a red flag in front of them, either do not have, nor bother, when the tech tells them they are in danger of a collision. As always compromise, and a good comprehension how to utilise both the visual, and the tech, is preferable. Lots of people complete this on a daily basis, but a good number skirt danger with a reliance on one or the other. Unfortunately they rarely can tell us what happened.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Ozdawg wrote:

have to disagree with , “all the…. technology in the world”. […]

Surely you begin to suspect that a crackly radio with all sorts of language and skill incompatibilities, a set of eyes with highly restricted sight-lines and a multitude of other deficiencies and an ad-hoc “there could be something there” distraction light which can’t work because some people object to having their aircraft identified, is maybe a little archaic?

Sure, very archaic, probably as archaic as the aircraft itself. Sorry for not being clear enough, let me reformulate:

“All the technology in the world, that I can afford, that is available to me.”

It is really disheartening having to defend every statement I post in this thread. I am definitely discouraged from publishing similar events in the future.

ESME, ESMS

Dimme wrote:

It is really disheartening having to defend every statement I post in this thread. I am definitely discouraged from publishing similar events in the future.

Sorry, didn’t mean that in any way as criticism of you etc. More publishing and constructive comment the better. My personal opinion is about the whole state of flying, and the hope it can improve. Cheers,

Other

BeechBaby wrote:

Sorry, not sure I would class that as a near miss. You also note that you did not see him, only the video provided evidence. What I did note however was a lack of look out on the part of the pilot. Lots of fiddling, wiping, twiddling, looking inside, but not much look out.

exactly what I thought. The Ipad is irrelevant during approach, but your eyes have to be out and looking where you’re going.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Please tell me at which part of the video was the iPad irrelevant? Please point the exact timestamp, look at my altitude and explain your argument.

ESME, ESMS

A good lesson in looking-out. Like others, I don’t think that was too close but I would be equally intrigued to see an aircraft in that position. However, Class G etc etc.

Just a couple of small, instructor/examiner top-tips:

a. Gear down and welded and then a gear check at 3:15. You’re in risk of stating a gear check and then not doing anything when a fixed U/C aircraft. Roll on a few years and you may find yourself saying the same thing and doing nothing with a retractable. Either get into the habit of doing something with your hand as part of the check or don’t do it at all. Personally, I encourage all checks to include a physical action, even if this is just a touch action.

Perhaps the biggest mid-air risk point in a visual cct is as you turn final and someone rams you from the right (ie outside your cct pattern) having flown a wider/faster circuit or undertaking a straight-in. Always, but always, check the outside of the turn when turning base and then final. In fact, checking the outside of any turn should be almost instinctive.
Last Edited by Dave_Phillips at 04 May 11:27
Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Dimme wrote:

It was evident by your tone as the thread progressed that you became defensive. Please don’t. Nothing here is posted to embarrass, or demean anyone. Internet forums are playgrounds, and you have to be sure of your ground and fight your case. So sorry if you feel put on. All of us discuss to learn, and maybe we come across something that helps in the future. Some of us have been in much closer near misses, and some view your incident as an event. Dave Philips is correct though. Watch that circuit, because thats where the danger really lurks. Keep posting….

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

A few thoughts:

- while a wide angle lens distorts distance perception – and thus makes it hard to judge how far the other a/c really was – this didn’t look all that close to me. I would be reporting near misses all the time if I got excited by that

- to those who fault @Dimme for the lookout – keep in mind, that the camera is mounted higher than the pilot’s head. I doubt you could spot that traffic from the left seat of a Cessna, even if you looked straight in its direction.

Dave_Phillips wrote:

Personally, I encourage all checks to include a physical action, even if this is just a touch action.

- excellent advice and the way I was trained from day one. My instructor insisted on doing the GUMPS even in a PA28 and equally insisted on following through by touching the (at the time imaginary) controls. I do the same today when I fly non-complex a/c (and of course flying complex a/c!)

- I totally agree that English should be the only language in aviation. FFS, if you can learn all the stuff you have to learn to get a pilot’s license, surely you must be able to learn the phraseology. Now, adhering to this phraseology is a different matter altogether…

- some here keep advocating for more technology in he cockpit. I’m not so sure. From my limited experience with traffic overlays, at least here in L.A. airspace you get the feeling that the sky is made of aluminium – there are targets everywhere and they’re out to get you! As our club a/c are being upgraded to ADS-B as I write, I’ll know more about the practicalities soon.

- @Dimme – please keep posting!

48 Posts
Sign in to add your message