Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Near miss of final approach - video

Details by the uploader on his top post in the comments.

This was my first solo circuit. Taking responsibility for my own actions, here is what I did wrong: early downwind call to ATC was given and response was that I was #3 for landing and did I have #2 in sight. Scanning the circuit I saw an aircraft turning final. I responded that i did (my error) what I didn’t see was the twin above me in the circuit. And I should have called I only have one in sight, what is the position of the other. My sense is that ATC also had the opportunity when both aircraft were on final to have called this. The low wing Dutchess and high wing C172 didn’t help either PIC. My lesson: if you don’t have circuit traffic in sight? Ask until you are clear. Thereby taking responsibility for your own separation. Don’t rely on others. This ‘luck to experience’ transaction has made me 1000 times more situationally aware

Last Edited by petakas at 15 Dec 22:01
LGMG Megara, Greece

WOW…that would be a complete violation if in the USA…looked like a Diamond DA20. Get that guys tail number.

In the US (at least where I fly) the controllers always include the aircraft type when calling traffic. While not perfect, it reduces the probability of such an error, i.e. thinking you see the called traffic, but in reality looking at someone else.

USFlyer wrote:

looked like a Diamond DA20

Beech Duchess. As it sais in the comment.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I feel sorry for the student who got this on his first solo.

As to “whose fault it is”, it is very common to not be visual with somebody in the circuit. Often because that traffic did a position report which is way off from where they really are.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

USFlyer wrote:

looked like a Diamond DA20.

Count the engines.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

That was indeed a very close call since it’s prob 99, from that angle, the twin crew never saw the OPs plane .

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Neither did ATC see them getting close (I wonder)

LGMG Megara, Greece

Michael wrote:

That was indeed a very close call since it’s prob 99, from that angle, the twin crew never saw the OPs plane .

I would guess that as well. Otherwise it would have been a total reckless piece of flying. Over- or underflying other traffic in the pattern is one of the cardinal sins in aviation.
But for me, the instructor made the big mistake here: Sending a student on his first solo into busy traffic? And probably not telling anybody about it? This poor guy has enough to do with himself and his aircraft. He shouldn’t have to worry about traffic on that day.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Petakas, well done, from the video looks like you handled that situation well, particularly on your first solo. You are not the first, and certainly not the last, to witness this. The circuit can be a spooky place, from the ten mile final jocks, to the 5 mile wide circuit, to the lets just do as I please worldstars. I am surprised he did not see you, also he came over the top, so……..many times it is difficult to see circuit traffic, but it is a very good idea to train your eyes, and count them off. I would never say visual, when I wasn’t. If you can’t see them, say that.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message