Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Need a copy of the original FAA STC SA5842NM for the Horizon P1000 Tachometer

I am in the process of my my Arrow from a Swedish registration to a Danish one, and as part of that, I have been collecting the FAA STC’s and the (typically CAA) AANs that are the basis of grandfathered rights into EASA.

All is well … except for my Horizon P1000 Tachometer.

The CAA AAN is here → http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/AANDocs/28419/28419000000.pdf
And the original FAA STC is here → http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgstc.nsf/0/334CBA246E2BF9EC85256CC200122BE3?OpenDocument&Highlight=sa5842nm

Except that I can only find the FAA STC as the webpage above. I can’t find the usual "coffee-stained, stamped, signed and scanned in low resolution so to be almost unreadable " version of the STC.

I have written to Horizon, but no reply yet, and I have emptied the internet while looking for it.
Next step is to call the FAA on their public hotline – the one listed number, and I am gathering up the courage and (mostly) patience for that conversation…

Does anyone have one of these installed, and hold a copy of the FAA STC SA5842NM? It’s worth a couple of rounds, next time you pass through EKRK!

best regards
Lars

Last Edited by Larswa at 09 Sep 13:04
EKRK, Denmark

Can’t you have it installed under EASA CS-STAN on Swedish reg, so it is automatically acceptable to Danisch CAA aswell?

Normally an FAA STC is not automatically accepted, unless install before a certain date. Have a look if your current maintenance company or engineer can rectify this, by doing the installation under CS-SC201a, which accept these type of indicators. Not suiteable for owner release.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Hi Jesse, thanks – good info.

It was installed while on the Swedish registration with proper paperwork, and the work was signed for in the techlog. This is just down to the Danish authorities wanting to find something to moan about.

BTW … I was under the impression, that it could be installed at any later date , with the train of approval being the older CAA AAN that was grandfathered into EASA?

EKRK, Denmark

Larswa wrote:

BTW … I was under the impression, that it could be installed at any later date , with the train of approval being the older CAA AAN that was grandfathered into EASA?

Yes, that is correct. Did they actually argue about it? If they do, you could say that it would be elegible for installation anyway under CS-STAN.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

They do argue about that. And getting that FAA STC is the easiest way to get past that discussion. My shop has a plan B, that I didn’t fully understand. Might be the CS-STAN – but I’ll forward that suggestion. Thanks Jesse!

EKRK, Denmark

Maybe it involves repeatedly photcopying a piece of paper that looks very similar to an STC, some cups of coffee and tea, and a [clothes] iron. It’s not easy to get the stains just right, so expect them to charge for it.

Last Edited by Cobalt at 11 Sep 08:07
Biggin Hill

Is the P1000 installed as “back-up” or primary ?

If secondary, just pull it out then re-install under Swedish reg.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Larswa wrote:

Next step is to call the FAA on their public hotline – the one listed number, and I am gathering up the courage and (mostly) patience for that conversation…

What for ? I doubt they will give it any consideration whatsoever …

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

@Cobalt … hehehe … true. Also – it’s incredble the amount of trust that authorities holds to an old photocopied to death piece of paper …

@Michael – Nah – it’s the original, and its being registered from a Swedish to a Danish registration. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Thanks all – I’ll see what my shop comes up with …

EKRK, Denmark
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message