Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Need for Complex Endorsement N-reg

Why would getting an ATP help you? High perf and complex is easy to get.

EGTK Oxford

I did the ATP Written before the doors closed this summer.
So I have 2 years to do the skill test.

Im hoping that I will be doing a new type rating within these months where I can include the ATP skill test. Otherwise I would need to rent a light twin at a flight school and do the whole setup.

I guess you are right. Probably much easier to just do the Endorsements, and get over with it.

Have some one checked the legality of this statement:
“According to (at least) Norwegian rules, one is allowed to fly a N-reg’ed aircraft with a national license inside the Norwegian borders. Now however, we don’t have a national license anymore, but a European JAR-FCL license (My license nr was changed from a N-16187693696 to a Jar.Fcl-16187693696).
Technically speaking, could we now fly within the EU borders with this license on a N-regged aircraft??”

Far out. But still

Last Edited by spirit49 at 29 Nov 21:14
spirit49
LOIH

I would suspect one could easily combine a Flight Review with both endorsements. If a pilot had recent experience in the exact same type aircraft, very few instructors would see it necessary to spend more than the minimum required by regulations for a flight review, or one hour ground and one hour of flight.

KUZA, United States
Have some one checked the legality of this statement:
“According to (at least) Norwegian rules, one is allowed to fly a N-reg’ed aircraft with a national license inside the Norwegian borders. Now however, we don’t have a national license anymore, but a European JAR-FCL license (My license nr was changed from a N-16187693696 to a Jar.Fcl-16187693696).
Technically speaking, could we now fly within the EU borders with this license on a N-regged aircraft??”

Far out. But still

Read this FAA General Counsel Opinion. It states that one my fly in a N registered aircraft using the EASL License within the country that issued it, but not outside. To fly outside of the country in which the EASL license was issued, but in an N registered aircraft, one needs a pilot certificate issued by the US. This can be a US certificate issued on the basis of the non US licence (61.71) or one issued by the US by completing the requirements of part 61.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/agc/pol_adjudication/agc200/interpretations/data/interps/2014/graziano%20-%20(2014)%20legal%20interpretation.pdf

KUZA, United States

My thoughts about this then goes in the direction that we now have a European issued license.
But I guess you can still define from the paper which country has issued the Jar.Fcl license.

Its still just theory anyway. If you want to be free like the bird, its better to tick all the FAA boxes

spirit49
LOIH

The FAA does not agree and they are the authority for flight in a US registered aircraft.

KUZA, United States

@spirit49 from what I understand you already have some experience in high performance and complex aircraft. In that case getting the endorsements (a hand written statement from a CFI in the back of your logbook) should be pure formality.

You should however make sure that the number of the license based on which your FAR 61.75 is issued, referenced on the back of the FAA license, matches that of your JAR or EASA license. If not you will need to contact LT to have them do the required paperwork to have your FAA license reissued with the correct number. You will need to show up in Bodø to do this because the FAA requires positive identification.

Since any new license (re)issued by LT is now EASA, the new license numbers are slightly different from the old ones, and for your FAA license to remain valid, it will have to be reissued.

LFPT, LFPN

Hi Aviathor.

Thanks for the info

spirit49
LOIH
@spirit49 from what I understand you already have some experience in high performance and complex aircraft. In that case getting the endorsements (a hand written statement from a CFI in the back of your logbook) should be pure formality.

Although spirit49 should have more than adequate experience in complex and high performance aircraft, the instructor who signs the endorsements must have personally given the pilot the instruction, both flight and ground. An instructor would be committing fraud if they merely provided the pilot with the endorsement. I do agree, that a brief conversation on the operation of a complex and high performance aircraft with a short flight to demonstrate competency would be more than satisfactory and should be able to be quickly completed. Certainly if the pilot also required a 61.56 flight review in order to exercise the private pilot privileges of their 61.75 certificate, it should only take the minimum time required by the regulation for the flight review.

From FAR 61.31:

(e) Additional training required for operating complex airplanes.
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (e)(2) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of a complex airplane, unless the person has—
(i) Received and logged ground and flight training from an authorized instructor in a complex airplane, or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of a complex airplane, and has been found proficient in the operation and systems of the airplane; and
(ii) Received a one-time endorsement in the pilot’s logbook from an authorized instructor who certifies the person is proficient to operate a complex airplane.
(2) The training and endorsement required by paragraph (e)(1) of this section is not required if the person has logged flight time as pilot in command of a complex airplane, or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of a complex airplane prior to August 4, 1997.
(f) Additional training required for operating high-performance airplanes.
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (f)(2) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of a high-performance airplane (an airplane with an engine of more than 200 horsepower), unless the person has—
(i) Received and logged ground and flight training from an authorized instructor in a high-performance airplane, or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of a high-performance airplane, and has been found proficient in the operation and systems of the airplane; and
(ii) Received a one-time endorsement in the pilot’s logbook from an authorized instructor who certifies the person is proficient to operate a high-performance airplane.

Here are the wordings of the endorsements:

I certify that (First name, MI, Last name), (pilot certificate), (certificate number), has received the required training of section 61.31(e) in a (make and model of complex airplane). I have determined that He/She is proficient in the operation and systems of a complex airplane.
[DATE] Instructor Name, 1234567CFI, Exp. 12/31/2014

I certify that (First name, MI, Last name), (pilot certificate), (certificate number), has received the required training of section 61.31(f) in a (make and model of high performance airplane). I have determined that He/She is proficient in the operation and systems of a high performance airplane.
[DATE] Instructor Name, 1234567CFI, Exp. 12/31/2014
KUZA, United States

I wouldn’t go for a quicky on this one.

What Im trying to figure out now, is if one of the instructors flying on my plane can do this (haven’t reached him yet).

Since we are about 5 pilots approved by the insurance to fly this aircraft, we are putting together a training program. This was initially thought as a more detailed training for this particular P210 (CHT issues, use of EDM-830, GAMI’s ++++), but I don’t see why we can’t expand this to include the necessary training requirements for Complex and Hi-performance. But since all the other pilots have straight FAA CPL or ATP, I guess they don’t really need it.
So I will be the only one requiring this training. Anyway, extra training has never hurt anybody.

But hey. If you gonna do it, you might as well do it properly.

spirit49
LOIH
Sign in to add your message