Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Need for Complex Endorsement N-reg

Have some one checked the legality of this statement:
“According to (at least) Norwegian rules, one is allowed to fly a N-reg’ed aircraft with a national license inside the Norwegian borders. Now however, we don’t have a national license anymore, but a European JAR-FCL license (My license nr was changed from a N-16187693696 to a Jar.Fcl-16187693696).
Technically speaking, could we now fly within the EU borders with this license on a N-regged aircraft??”

That’s not the problem. The problem is this AIC-N. But only some weeks ago Part NCO started working, and SERA started 2 weeks ago. Part NCO does not work for Annex II, not yet at least, have no idea about N reg. I don’t think it will affect that AIC though ?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

FWIW, in the UK, you can fly G-reg “non-EASA” aircraft (which I think basically means Annex 2, plus maybe ultralights?) on any ICAO PPL, and you can do so worldwide.

Of course the airspace owner (abroad) may not like it because Annex 2 do not have an ICAO compliant CofA so need a permit to fly anywhere, but at least the State of Registry is OK with it which is a start. If the SofR is not OK with something, the idea is dead before you even get going.

The UK used to allow the above concession for any G-reg worldwide (plus they allowed IFR OCAS if you held any ICAO IR) but EASA has killed that. However the various derogations may have delayed that killing… I am not up to date on it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Of course the airspace owner (abroad) may not like it because Annex 2 do not have an ICAO compliant CofA

I think this is not true at all. Many Annex 2 aircraft have normal CofAs. The dividing lime line between “EASA aircraft” and “Annex 2 aircraft” was pretty much arbitrary.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

That’s not the problem. The problem is this AIC-N. But only some weeks ago Part NCO started working, and SERA started 2 weeks ago. Part NCO does not work for Annex II, not yet at least, have no idea about N reg. I don’t think it will affect that AIC though ?Quote

Im not sure what you are trying to say.
That a Norwegian citizen is not allowed to fly a N-reg’ed aircraft in Norway, but in the rest of Europe?

spirit49
LOIH

No. Just be sure to take note of that AIC and § 2-2 referred to in there. 2-2 has also changed since the AIC was written. Then, BSL D 3-1 where it is specified that one is allowed to fly N-reg (or any other reg) within Norway with a Norwegian license, is not valid anymore. Part NCO and SERA are now the valid regulations, except for Annex II aircraft, where BSL D 3-1 still is the valid regulation and part NCO is not valid (SERA is valid for all though). It’s a complete mess. Annex II is an EASA construct, so it is probably not even applicable for N-regs even if the type is an Annex II in Europe?

In any case, what you referred to is not valid, it’s too old.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

An instructor would be committing fraud if they merely provided the pilot with the endorsement.

I was by no means implying anything like that. Only point I was trying to make was that it would be no more involved than a checkride.

LFPT, LFPN

I must admit the whole setup is a mess.
So we can discuss the different possibilities or loopholes if you want, to the sun sets.

Its much better to just get the required licenses and endorsements.
Im just dreading the day the aircraft (& pilot) has its first ramp check in Europe. I have tried to get my head around all info required, but its easy to miss out on something.
Then again the ramp checker would most probably not have a 100% knowledge of all requirements for a N-reg.

Most important(I have understood), Is to have the EU VAT papers available. Especially in France. But that is a whole other discussion we shall not start here.

@LeSving: The reason I asked if the AIC forbids Norwegians to own and operate N-reg’ed aircrafts, is that I have meet a lot of owners that just doesn’t dare change to or keep their N-reg. The whole N-reg for Europeans is clearly proven, so I was wondering if the Norwegian Caa or government had made any special rules I wasn’t aware of.

spirit49
LOIH

Spirit49, the FAA system is fairly clear. The complexity comes with European regs layering on. It still isn’t that hard. Just get authorised correctly under FAA regs and consider any local additions required.

EGTK Oxford

Believe it or not the Australian regulations for aircraft and pilot licensing are WAY more onerous than EASA in almost every respect….so you would think that Australia would be full of N reg aircraft….but it isn’t…there is one guy in Sydney who has had his Mooney on the N reg for 9 years with no problems so clearly there is no law against it….another very experienced pilot owner said he kept his plane on the N reg for a couple of years and switched to VH…he said he deeply regrets it…I think the reason people stick with their own state of registry is largely due to ignorance of the laws of their own countries! If I ever move back to Australia I will bring my plane and leave it on the N register…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

I think most owners who are not N-reg are not N-reg because

• they don’t know about it (I knew nothing about it for 3 years post-PPL – it was STOLman here who converted me)
  • they don’t have a handy FAA A&P / A&P/IA to do/supervise work and sign off Annuals (more common an issue in southern Europe)
  • they are “non-involved” owners who just drop the plane off at the dealer with a blank signed cheque on the seat (fairly common with certain brands) and this is not great for N-reg which is ideally suited to pro-active owners and on which you tend to get ripped off by companies if you don’t watch it
  • N-reg is constantly slagged off (mostly jealousy because at any given airport, the N-regs tend to be the best / best maintained planes)
  • constant FUD about EASA banning long term parking (the idea was floated by France in 2004 and UK in 2005 and rapidly dropped)
  • Denmark has been operating a climate of fear with sporadic fines; they have had an anti-parking reg on their books for years (should end with EASA but??)
  • a few issues like 3x higher landing fees at some places in Greece, plus 5-day PPR versus zero PPR for SX-reg at e.g. LGSA
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message