Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New FAA policy on replacing vacuum attitude instruments with electric ones

here

There are several products which meet the requirements.

So an electric instrument can be installed as a Minor Alteration – if I read it correctly.

As far as i can tell, this concession doesn’t help with replacing the KI256 where it is used for attitude reference for an autopilot.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That document was VERY enlightening – THANKS FOR SHARING !

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Thank NCYankee for discovering it

Administrator

Here’s my choice, hopefully certified by the end of the year when I’m ready to go all electric !

SANDIA SAI 340 QUATTRO

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Speed and altitude tapes but isn’t classed as EFIS?

Important since EFIS needs an STC even if fitted on the RHS.

Administrator

Don’t think it’s EFIS as it just got FAA approval I am waiting for that one too as a back up. Will keep the vac pump though as the ATT/FD and AP are on that one..

quote from beechtalk:
What is key for installation as a backup is whether the backup’s install manual includes data showing how the equipment meets the backup instrument requirements defined for existing glass panel STCs (e.g. Aspen, Garmin). Those STCs define the requirements that apply to the backup display for their system. That means that a new STC shouldn’t be required if the backup’s FAA Approved TSO data shows that it meets the requirements of the glass panel STC.

EBST

Peter wrote:

Speed and altitude tapes but isn’t classed as EFIS?

This is for back-up, not primary which will be Aspen.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

I think they key is that somehow this product avoided being classified as EFIS because any EFIS needs an STC regardless of where it is installed. Same with this one

Administrator

The SAMs a great product but @ $10K is too pricey

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

SANDIA SAI 340 QUATTRO

Looks lovely. No if o ky that could replace the six pack in the Cessna 150

12 Posts
Sign in to add your message