Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New forum member

Welcome Jash2009 and good luck with the trip, harry up winter is coming

Peter wrote:

LFAT itself has permanent police presence so no prior notice (PN) required

You know that is not true according to the AIP, but they don’t care if you land in the middle of the invasion lot
If you want depart at 0745LT when no one is around they do fetch emails

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 Sep 09:36
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Welcome Jash! Let us know how it went. Flying in southern UK is all about lunch in France

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Welcome to EuroGA, Jash2009

For a first trip into France, do Le Touquet. Great airport, a great walk into town, a great town, great beach, great food. A bunch of us do a meet-up there, quite a few times a year. You just need the GAR form for the UK end. LFAT itself has permanent police presence so no prior notice (PN) required. File the flight plan and fly.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Welcome,
This forum has a vast array of knowledge and sensible answers.
You’ve already had a thumbs up for Le Touquet, and I will agree it’s a perfect 1st trip.

We go 2-3 times a year and still like it.

Enjoy and let us know how it goes.

United Kingdom
Hopefully my limited experience won’t count against me too much as I join this forum, but I look forward to participating.

Welcome Jash. I’m also quite new here as a greenhorn pilot, but can only share positive vibes. Very pleasant forum compared to others, including lots of useful information and interesting topics. I even had my first little meetup already. Enjoy!

Switzerland

Welcome, I’m sure you’ll find a wealth of information on this forum!

always learning
LO__, Austria

For a first trip, it is harder to do than Le Touquet, which ticks pretty much all the boxes:
- Small crossing, you can practically see the airport from the UK side, on a nice day
- Low admin
- They are likely used to “the british way of things”, so they’ll understand if you ask them for a “basic service”
- ATC is usually very nice
- No hassle on the ground, just cycle (bikes from airport) or walk.
- The surrounding grounds are nice (forest, beach)

I think people will say the only drawbacks are:
- It can get full in the summer (although they do a very good job of hosting dozens of airplanes – they even get a marshaller on a bicycle)
- The landing fee is a bit higher than at comparable sized airports in france (30 euros vs usually 10)

If you intend to actually get out of the airport and visit town, note that Le Touquet proposes bike rentals, and the way to town centre is rather short and enjoyable in itself. Caen and Cherbourg will require a car (taxi or rental…), although Cherbourg has some kind of free shuttle in the summer of 2019 (not sure if the period has ended or not).

If staying at the airport itself, at Cherbourg, visit the restaurant, it is closing soon.

ELLX

All,

Many thanks for the welcome. I look forward to participating and learning from you all.

I’ll try to update a trip report soon, might test the water with my longest UK trip (170nm each way) completed a couple of weeks ago.

Definitely looking forward to my first trip to France, one question though as a 1st trip would the forum recommend Caen, Cherbourg or Le Touquet….all seem like popular choices. By way of explanation regardless of destination I’ll be travelling with another pilot from my club who has done this before as a bit of hand holding, however I intend to do some more European touring in the future.

Any advice appreciated.

United Kingdom

Sorry Medewok

LFOU, France
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message