Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New member just joining

Hello !

Just joining the forum, I wish to introduce myself. I am an happy co-owner since 2011 of a Mooney M20K Rocket which is a fantastic bird, flying her mostly IFR in France, and willing to travel more in Europe. I just discoverd EuroGA a few weeks ago, searching informations on avionics upgrade, and I found pleasant discussions here.
Nice to meet you!

LFRN, France

Nice choice of aircraft! There’s one for sale in the UK at the moment that would tempt me if I had the money to upgrade from a J. What kind of TAS/Fuel burn do you run at?

EIMH, Ireland

Hi Zuutroy,
I typically fly between FL120 – FL 180 due to oxygen requirements (canulas), and during long trips I can go to FL240 (max ARCFT certification level with mask but I feel unconfortable).
With common settings (30" – 2200 rpm), TAS at FL120 will be 180kts, @FL180 – 205 KTAS, burning 17 USG and secured TIT 1550°F (150° ROP) with GAMInjectors. At FL240, TAS would be 240 kts in theory, but actually, in the real world 220-230 kts. You can also fly @55% at low level burning 13 USG for 140 KTAS, you have choice…
If you have the opportunity to compare your J and a K, some differences would be to discuss. Albeit, a Rocket powered Mooney is a different wold
I had a couple of landings at your airfield Weston, first time for a fuel and lunch stop between Rennes and Inverness, the second time to spend some days with my wife in Dublin, a very nice place to be for a celtic guy! We appreciated the welcome.

LFRN, France

Bienvenue !
The M20K looks like a beast for a Cessna guy like me.
Do you know LimaVictor who has a 182 in LFRN too ?

LFOU, France

Welcome to EuroGA, Arty

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter, you just found a new friend for the ‘remote Greek island trip’ 2019 :D !!
He may even get there before you and with less stops :) Well, that would be embarrassing !

LFOU, France

Yes that is a very capable plane. One Mooney owner (no longer flying unfortunately) went from Plymouth, UK, to Corfu, Greece, nonstop. This is about 1300nm.

Administrator

Jujupilote wrote:

Bienvenue !
The M20K looks like a beast for a Cessna guy like me.
Do you know LimaVictor who has a 182 in LFRN too ?

Bonjour Jujupilote,
I saw a 182 in my hangar a few month ago, but never met the pilot. I think he moved to a different area.
M20K is not so different of C182, both are planes, same sky, same weather,… A lot in common !

Peter wrote:

LFPT
Peter 05-Nov-18 07:53 07

Yes that is a very capable plane. One Mooney owner (no longer flying unfortunately) went from Plymouth, UK, to Corfu, Greece, nonstop. This is about 1300nm.

hmmm… Great ! But I need to make a stop before the plane needs it anyway…
OK for a Greek island trip, have you any idea for the scheduled period ?

LFRN, France

We did a “proper” fly-in to Astypalea, Greece in Sep 2017. I thought this would be a one-off because Greece is really too far for most people, no matter how dedicated, and with the Fraport takeover it has become even more tricky to plan trips there. But it was a great meet-up.

In Sep 2018 we did the main one to Elba, Italy, but some of us continued to Kastelorizo, Greece. After that epic trip I am not sure what else to do there next, given that I have done much of it already.

The Greek situation is changing and improving slightly, with Ioanina being a new usable port of entry, with avgas, and with Syros and Sitia having avgas and reasonable pricing maybe we will do another one. But most people do prefer something more central… we do “main” fly-ins in May and September and the 2019 ones are not yet fixed.

Administrator
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message