Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New UL helicopter

This looks very nice. Contrarotating rotors, the brand new 6 cylinder D-motor.

http://www.mdr.de/thueringen-journal/video220488.html

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Looks nice! Not quite sure what they meant with the 450kg payload – incl/excl fuel?

No, they meant 450kg MTOM – including fuel.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Ultralight helicopters have been common and succesful for years in Italy. Till today, no
such class exists in Germany. Other countries?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Only gyrocopters here, but this twin rotor may change things ? It should be considerably easier to fly I would think. Several experimental certified helicopters have been built and restores though.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I don’t know – microlight helicopters? I once put together all my bravery and took a trial lesson in a R22. It went very well and I enjoyed it a lot, but any smaller than that and even less energy in the rotor(s) in case something goes wrong? No, not for me, I want to live long enough to meet my grandchildren one day….

EDDS - Stuttgart

Exactly. I had five hours in an R44 (With the Robinson chief instructor in L.A.) and although i made good progress after the first two hours I am not a big fan of light helicopters. Later i once flew the R22 with an instructor, and a short while after that i was on a photo mission in a R22 … and after that i knew that it’s not for me.

Last year the next to me in the hangar lost control of his R44 right in front of our hangar. Parts were flying around and although he crashed from 50 cm in calm conditions the helicopter was completely destroyed when the rotor touched the ground. That SAME day two other R44s were ruined in Germany.

A friend of mine flies such an italian UL helicopter powered by an APU. While it looks and sounds fascinating i only sit in it with the engine off, on the ground of course :-)

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 08 Sep 12:12

On my home airfield there is a lot of helicopter activity. When a heli is starting up, I always make sure to be at a safe distance.
I’m just scared the thing will flip over. The rotor blades hitting the ground will give a big mess.
Maybe I’ve watched too many videos like this one: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=df5_1409919095

That SAME day two other R44s were ruined in Germany.

Like on every day in the year…

The R22 I took my trial lesson in was totalled two weeks later in a failed autorotation exercise. Luckily with only minor injuries of the student and a broken arm of the instructor.

EDDS - Stuttgart

I was planning to get my PPL this summer in a Cabri G2 in EDMA but then a crisis in a company of mine required a change of plans. Not sure if that was a good thing or not…

20 Posts
Sign in to add your message