Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Next flying challenge

The TBM fetches a high price because it owns 50% of the modern turboprop market.

The PC12 owns the other 50% of that market.

The two have somewhat different mission profiles, with the TBM appealing to the intelligent owner pilot, while the PC12 appeals to an owner with a paid pilot and who wants more comfort and standing room.

The fact that both of these are made in countries where you have to pay through the nose to get somebody to rivet some bits of metal together just helps the situation

The King Air has a lot less appeal to the above customers because it is “old” and not anywhere near as sexy. Yes, I know, this is not rational, and you can buy a reasonable KA90 for half the price of a reasonable TBM, and that’s before you get onto the maintenance, but…

I know of a guy who had a turboprop Commander and he complained constantly and bitterly that ATC would not let him above FL250 (his plane would go to FL300, IIRC) because – he said – he was too slow for the traffic operating in the FL300 range. But this was one highly motivated individual – he even got himself CAT2 certified. As far as I could tell, no “punishment” was too bad. Eventually he took up sailing; he joked that he will do a sailing ATPL just for a hobby.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The TBM fetches a high price because it owns 50% of the modern turboprop market.
The PC12 owns the other 50% of that market.

Not so. They are still selling brand new King Airs.

Part of the problem with getting a climb in France is the airspace “ownership”. For example leaving Annecy you cannot get above FL220 until you are handed over to Paris, but that’s a lot later than you would like

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I know they still make the KA but they also still make the Seneca, the Baron, the … I was talking about perceptions, and prices are often driven by less than rational factors.

I am sure Jason has done his homework. It would be interesting to hear the details.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The calculations require a lot of assumptions. But for my typical 700nm trips on the same rate as I flew last year my overall costs will run approx 45% higher than the Meridian. This includes fuel, route charges, oil, landing fees, insurance, hangarage, maintenance and training. You can’t overcome the fact that two engines cost a lot more to run.

However this also includes both engine and parts programs which are not included in the Meridian numbers. So the costs would be closer if those were accounted for. Capital cost is around 10% higher for older Mustangs vs the sale price of the Meridian.

EGTK Oxford

I know the point that you are making, and from a European owner flown perspective it could well be right.

However the point I was making is that according to the 2014 full year figures Textron sold 127 King Airs, Socata sold 51 TBM’s, and Pilatus sold 66 PC12’s.

It would seem that the multi engine vs single engine debate is more evenly matched than many imagine.

You mention the Baron, well they sold 40 Barons, which is amazing to me as they are now a very expensive bit of kit.

JasonC wrote:

However this also includes both engine and parts programs which are not included in the Meridian numbers. So the costs would be closer if those were accounted for.

Jason, I feel that the Proparts and engine plans are essential, they are very good and the backup from Cessna is first rate.

How many of the King Airs were military sales?

OTOH, the higher you fly the more headwind you get!

It goes both ways Peter as you know. Enjoying 100+ kts tailwind as not so bad. If headwinds are that bad you just fly lower. You get many options with aircraft that cruise fast and comfortably between FL300 and FL400…

Routing is probably the main problem in Europe as what_next implies.

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

I feel that the Proparts and engine plans are essential, they are very good and the backup from Cessna is first rate.

I wouldn’t be without them.

EGTK Oxford

French are notorious for difficult and low level caps.

I would imagine insurance would mandate w certain number of hours with a safety pilot before operating solo? I don’t know how slippery the Mustang is but I reckon the biggest difference you’ll find is anticipating speed and profile control and this will take a bit of getting used to. Unless FSI are significantly different from CAE where I’ve done my corporate stuff, you will do almost no line-oriented flying in the sim, just systems, emergencies and approach profiles.

Enjoy it though – sounds like a blast.

London area
Sign in to add your message