Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Night flying...

Even with perfect weather an engine failure would mean disaster.

Says it all for me. But thanks for the beautiful photographs, and thanks for the open mind!

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I’ve only flown ONE SINGLE night … it’s a requierement to have the night rating first for the german IFR. We flew the complete 5 hours in one night and practiced approaches at a former military airbase in eastern germany. It was pit black, no horizon, no houses, no lights… only the runway lights, like in a computer game… very strange experience. I remember how I was thinking about a possible engine failure. There would have been no chance to do make a controlled landing. On the way back the moon came out and I could at least see some rivers… thin silver ribbons through the black landscape. I think I would have tried to land on one of those, just in case …

Unfortunately my home base has no night flying and so I never did it again.

My last night flight was into the night Tuesday last week. It was fun.
Coventry has no centre line lighting which can be a pain.
My taxi light blew, so time for LEDs I think.
I was impressed with Log Ten Pro as it automatically put in night time and a night landing.

United Kingdom

remember how I was thinking about a possible engine failure. There would have been no chance to do make a controlled landing.

Alexisvc, with your Cirrus you have the option of the chute. That gives you a way out in case of an engine failure.

My taxi light blew, so time for LEDs I think.

We used both the taxi+landing light for taxiing. It was so dark that you could barely see the taxiway.
The DA40 has the taxi/landing light at the end of the left wing. I think it is much better to have the landing light in/under the nose, as it will shine on the centerline.

Some more thoughts on night flying after our recent experience:

• You need a very good camera / lens to be able to capture the beauty of night flying. I have a Olympus PEN but 90% of the photos failed.
  • Using an iPad for the charts work really well during night as the screen is illuminated.
  • It is VERY HARD to navigate using traditional VFR dead reckoning techniques. I was unable to tell where we are by looking outside, even though I know the area quite well. VFR reporting points (are they used at night?) can be impossible to spot.
  • We did some traffic patterns. On downwind I could not spot the runway as the runway lights don’t shine sideways. We used the G430 for situational awareness and flew headings.
  • I don’t see how night VFR can be done safely without instrument experience. You’re exposed to a lot of illusions.
  • An engine failure at night will ruin your day. But I don’t see how it would be different from flying over an OVC003.
  • On a clear night, traffic is much easier to spot then during daytime.
  • It’s very quiet in the air
Last Edited by lenthamen at 28 Nov 14:47

I think it is much better to have the landing light in/under the nose, as it will shine on the centerline.

I heard it’s somewhat beneficial to have the lights in the wing – wing lights are further away from the vibrations of the engine & bulbs tend to last longer. (or so the argument goes)

What I have found though, is that standard lights on most light aircraft (pardon the pun) are woefully inadequate for navigating anywhere on the ground. There’s a lot of STCs in the market for retrofit lights…

Last Edited by Hodja at 28 Nov 15:27

A Panasonic Lumix FT2 compact digital, on movie and night mode, held out of the opening in a Pa28. As regards landing light position, the worst is close in on the left wing, so it illuminates the back of the prop.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I have only about 25hrs at night – due to

• airport closing times (where I am based, night flight during genuinely dark hours is just possible for a short local)
  • it isn’t usually useful to arrive somewhere in the evening (other than getting back home, but see above)
  • poor risk management for engine failure
  • high risk of sudden fog (above video shows a lot of mist around the street lights, already) as the temp falls and meets the dewpoint

The TB20’s LH wingtip cluster is poor for doing right turns on the taxiway. My recently fitted LEDs are much brighter but I have not yet tested them at night. One US pilot put a cluster in the RH wing also (337 Field Approval – a big job in that case; I saw the documentation) and that is a great solution but it’s a lot of work. That link above also mentions another possible solution in the form of illuminated wingtips, but the late-GT wingtips are very pricey.

Re cameras, one really needs a recent model DSLR. A couple of years ago a new sensor came out from Sony. The first camera with it was the Pentax K5, which I have, and you get pretty good shots at ISO 50000+. I think every major name is using it now.

Last Edited by Peter at 28 Nov 22:33
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Some night flying pictures of the last week

Enroute from Rotterdam to Bergen (Norway) with on the right screen the ILS procedure depicted of the landing runway at Bergen. I am currently flying downwind. Next pictures show how I close into the runway and finally the follow me car to take me to the taxi-stand.

EDLE, Netherlands

Great weather at your destination.

EDXQ

Yes, the weather was at the minima.

EDLE, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message