Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Night landings on wide runways without centreline lighting

Next time I land at Castle Kennedy (or threreabouts) I will give you a shout…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

That would be nice. Kirkbride is slightly nearer than CK as the crow flies, with free landing if you uplift some of their (reasonably-priced) AVGAS.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

That pilot’s “glassy water” technique is one of my favorites: pick a spot on the lake which is not actually “glassy”. Even on a flat calm day, one can often find a small patch of ripple like that.

Indeed, having a ripple to land into is great, but altering your landing to achieve that can be troublesome. The main objective is a stable descent to a glassy water landing, so altering that at the last minute is asking for trouble, and if you miss the ripples, and get back over the glass again before you touch down, having abandoned the glassy water stable approach, your only safe option is an instant go around. This is similar to a skis landing on unbroken snow – same lack of visual cues. When I flew that landing, I was looking forward to the benefit of the ripples if they happened under my touchdown area, but as you can see, I did not alter my approach profile at all, all the way down. To be truthful, I was not sure I was on the water until I rolled the ailerons a touch, and the plane did not respond!

Jacko wrote:

but if we were all so shy of inflicting one third of the design load factor on our airplanes, we would never do aerobatics, and we would never extend flap in a Maule:

A difference though is that flight loads are [hopefully] built up more slowly, and are not hammering the plane. More to my concern is that it is difficult to hit the ground that hard without inducing a pitch change, which then demands some skill to control. Flight loads are generally built up in “commanded” flight, so control is being maintained the whole time. Flying such that a bounce at night is more likely introduces greater risk of loss of control. I resist the notion that an “arrival” in a GA aircraft should be a normal technique to avoid applying the skill for a normally flared, gentle landing. Sure, we all hit a little hard from time to time, but for me, doing so is never the intention

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada
33 Posts
Sign in to add your message

Threads possibly related to this one