Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Night VFR

Haven't done as much as I would like, but flying over L.A. on a clear night is one of the most amazing things you can do! OK, one could argue that sea of lights doesn't really constitute 'night', but still... ;-)

In Europe done some, mainly in Austria. Here also, there's a village (i.e. lights) pretty much anywhere. Personally love it, but aware of the dangers.

My home airfield isnt licensed for night flying, and while there are a few airfields not to far away that are licensed or equipped, they are only open one or two nights per week, just for 3 or 4 hours, and last time I tried to get some night flights in, the weather was always rubbish on those 2 nights :-) If my home airfield was equipped and it had one of those pilot initiated lighting system thingies, I reckon I would do more.

I have an IMCr but I wouldnt mix it with night flying due to the additional risks of even less visibility, so if I did more night flying, it would be in moderation.

I fly night VFR on clear nights in the USA.

It's very special, the air is so smooth and it's very calming. Pilots needs to be aware of the problems related to it for spacial disorientation.

I just don't like it in a SE because you would need to go for those 'black spots'on the ground when you have an engine faillure and you have no idea what's there at all.

But I guess that's a whole other discussion :-)

YSS
EGBJ

I am lucky to be based in on a small regional airport in Germany which offers decent prerequisites for night flying: good opening times (21:00/22:00 local), yet acceptable fees (about 25 euros for a day landing and about 38 for night). Plus, I fly an SR22, which is ideal for night flying due to the chute. But still, I do very very little night flying (IFR or VFR), mainly because flying at night does not normally coincide with my timing plans. Usually, on a longer trip, I take off rather early in the morning (especially in summer, this is when you find the best weather) and land at my destination in the middle of the day, in order to get everything sorted (clearing airport formalities, transport, hotel, sightseeing, etc.) well before nightfall. Even on a daytrip, I very rarely need or wish to be back later than 5 or 6 o'clock in the evening, which is usually still well in daytime (except in november, december and january, when little flying is done anyway). So, normally, my night flying is usually limited to doing 3 circuits (I am N-reg) for passenger currency sometime in mid september, and once more during november or december. Then, maybe once a every winter, I might go out for a fun local night flight (on a flight plan) around the area to enjoy the (admittedly beautiful) sights and sensations.

BTW, in Italy, VFR at night was not allowed at all until about six or seven years ago. At that time, they basically allowed it, but the italian night rating was (and still is) very hard to get (training requirements way above the ICAO specifications). Also, there a very high airport requirements (apron lighting, etc.) for getting VFR night approval. Combine this with the fact that virtually no airport is interested in night VFR traffic and you'll understand why very few airports allow it. So basically, there is no real practicality for PPL pilots in flying at night and in fact, VFR at night is still pretty much non-existant in Italy.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Personally The VFR night is a cart before the horse thing! Legally a pilot with minimal instrument ability could head off to a destination 300 miles away and do it legally! I has always felt that the night rating should have been attached to the UK IMCR becoming an IMCN R. In Europe it should be part of an IR of sorts rather than a stand alone rating. Proper night flying is too uncertain to head off into without solid instrument capability and approach capability too

Pace

on this planet

Personally The VFR night is a cart before the horse thing! Legally a pilot with minimal instrument ability could head off to a destination 300 miles away and do it legally! I has always felt that the night rating should have been attached to the UK IMCR becoming an IMCN R. In Europe it should be part of an IR of sorts rather than a stand alone rating. Proper night flying is too uncertain to head off into without solid instrument capability and approach capability too

Pace

Déjà Vu Pace? Haven't we been here before on another forum!

Pace, I don't think copy-and-paste from the wrinkled plum is allowed here

Ok my real feelings on night VFR ; ) I think the night rating should be issued to pre solo Students ! First solo can then be done at night ! All first solo nerves will go as the poor sods won't see anything or even realise they are in the air ! Think how pretty and what fun it will be for them to see all the city lights above them ; ) They won't even have to worry about getting an instrument rating as they won't be around to need one! Pace

on this planet

Pace, I don't think copy-and-paste from the wrinkled plum is allowed here

Copy and paste from PPRuNe or anywhere else is fine, as is linking to them in fact, provided that:

1. You don't infringe copyright - see this for some guidance.
  2. You don't only ever link to another site, i.e. you contribute things to the forum other than links.
  3. You don't link anywhere that violates our guidelines.
Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

Flying after sunset, with snow on the hills and reflections on the water is beautiful. Also the lit-up urban areas. I've logged night landings in moonlight which were really day technique - but have at least one day landing logged which was full night technique - 25 minutes after sunset, with rain and thousands of feet of cloud thickness, when the day length was less than 7 hours.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message