Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

No more Jeppesen VFR/GPS paper charts?

I know all the national charts are good. The issue I have is different styles. You can easily cross 4 countries in 3 hrs. I can be confusing to use 4 different depictions on one flight. This was the big advantage of Jepp GPS+VFR.

If you just visit the next airfield there is no need for anything than national charts, but if you fly abroad on a regular basis it was a plus.

United Kingdom

Peter - "pseudo-IFR" is my term, and it describes what I often do, and I'm sure many other pilots. Adequate visual conditions, legally VFR, but in reality popping up to a height where terrain is no issue, instrument nav with the odd cross-check visually, quite probably using GPS as primary navigation - but whatever height suits and nor declaring or necessarily conforming formally to instrument flight rules.

The Ipad version of MM is crappy and just about hangs in there, marginally aided by the marginally working Ipad2 internal GPS. In an "open" aircraft it should be OK but in a metal one you may need a remote GPS.

I'm planning a mixture of laptop-on-ground, Android phablet, and paper printouts. On my Phablet it shows UK 1/4m and 1/2m plus various non-aviation charts. But yes, you appear to be correct about the lack of overseas charts.

Genghis, I was talking to Jepp today, expressing my concerns and was told no decisions have been made regarding the publication schedule.

That I can't replace my ~15 month old charts with something more up to date, feels very like a decision to me.

G

Boffin at large
Various, southern UK.

It is a while since I bought the paper Jepp charts but I get the feeling that they were always a bit "ambiguous" on whether a given pilot shop would sell this year's or last year's.

I am also fairly sure they didn't publish all of them every year, anyway. Let's face it - the UK CAA doesn't. The North chart is every ~2 years and the Scottish is every 3.

I am sure Peter Mundy's pilot shop always sells current stuff (when I bought from him, mail order, I always got new charts) but a very well known shop here happily sells a selection from the past; both of the Jepp VFR charts and the Jepp IFR (Hi/Lo) charts, all at the same price.

It is on the electronic versions (the Raster Charts, sold for Flitestar) that one seriously expects the most recent data. But maybe not... MM doesn't publish more often than the CAA paper charts, regardless of changes/corrections.

Incidentally, do Jepp dealers get stock protection on charts i.e. can they send back unsold out of date ones, for credit? Newspaper retailers do normally get this protection.

the lack of overseas charts

Just a comment for completeness: you can scan in any chart, georeference it, and run it under MM. I know 2 people who know how to do it (one of them no longer answers emails and the other moved to Ozi). I have tried and it is slightly bizzare. You end up with a QCT file at the end. There is little point in doing that, when Ozi offers a much more direct facility for DIY charts, and anyway all the various charts can be "found" for it...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
33 Posts
Sign in to add your message