Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Does flight time in Annex 2 (now called Annex 1) and UL to count towards EASA PPL currency

This crazy ruling originally came from NPA 2014/29 which goes back quite a while.

Currently, the holder of an EASA PPL needs to do 12 hrs every 2 years to keep the class rating valid. Under this proposal, someone who owns and flies just one homebuilt type will need to rent a certified type for the 12 hrs, every 2 years.

It is a scandalous proposal which degrades safety, due to

• the cost of hiring for the 12hrs
  • the lack of currency on type on the hired plane

We did this one before but as bits in different threads. I hope I got the thread title right. I recall that UL time never did count anyway.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This was de-bunked years ago IMO. UL doesn’t count because you don’t need PPL to fly it (I think the reason was, even though that has little to do with currency of flying a light aircraft in general). You need EASA PPL to fly other Annex II (I) planes.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Was it debunked? It was a serious problem which at least for a while was considered. I have not seen a final word on this.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

We did it before here and this is a good article.

This saga is still running…

Administrator

You can do a skill check with any FE instead of the 12 hrs. (FCL.720.A)

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Good point, although you are still going to have currency issues on a plane you rent once every 2 years.

Administrator

Not very much if it’s just a C172 or similar easy planes and you have experience on other aircraft.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

I asked EASA this Question a few weeks back.

Going back to EASA,s response to NPA 2014-29. a number of questions were asked about flying Annex II aircraft (now Annex 1 ) and microlights to which EASA responded.

" EASA has prepared an AMC and proposed it with NPA 2014-29(B) and this AMC will be published after the adoption of the amendments to the Aircrew Regulation as GM."

As yet i have not seen EASA issue anything on this even though the New Basic regulation 2018//139 has been in force since September 11th.

Their response…

We are working on the issue:

- A special working group including stakeholders has been established. The group is working on the list of affected Annex I aircraft, conditions for recognition of training and experience.

- The work is not yet completed and the importance of the issue deserves that we address it carefully. For the moment, we expect to present the issue for discussion during the EASA committee planned in February 2019.

Last Edited by trevor_s at 24 Nov 10:27
Southend, United Kingdom

It is not in the law yet, just a lawyers proposal that has not even been discussed by the commission, the GA feedback at least went back

I think it is far more problematic for France where fifth of the PPL training fleet fall under this scope, you can’t have that much going illegal at once

The UK CAA went with a counter proposal on this as long as flying/training for EASA licences is done within NPPL counntours

Last Edited by Ibra at 24 Nov 14:57
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

mh wrote:

You can do a skill check with any FE instead of the 12 hrs. (FCL.720.A)

Not a skill check but a proficiency check (PC).

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
95 Posts
Sign in to add your message