Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Does flight time in Annex 2 (now called Annex 1) and UL to count towards EASA PPL currency

That is correct. Thank you.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

LeSving, “You need EASA PPL to fly other Annex II (I) planes.”

Not true. It is left to the national authorities to determine, respecting Chicago Convention obligations, acceptable licences. The UK situation looks something like this https://drive.google.com/open?id=1f7Qz7J9oinuEdU7LMVNNLS_-a5LUiY8E

London, United Kingdom

Above image:

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I am part-owner of a Jodel DR1050, Annex1 but was originally certified by the French DGAC. It is Annex1 as an “Orphan”.
I am part-owner of a Bolkow BO208C Junior, whose Type Certificate is held by Airbus Industrie. Most are EASA Aircraft, but our one, for some historical reason, is on a UK LAA Permit.
I couldn’t count hours in our DR1050, nor in any other DR1050.
I couldn’t count hours in our BO208C, but I could count hours in another, physically identical, UK registered BO208C which is an EASA aircraft.

Last Edited by Maoraigh at 24 Nov 19:34
Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

And yet, plenty people have been told and seem to think more of this national stuff will cure this mess. The opposite is true though, obviously.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Maoraigh wrote:

I couldn’t count hours in our BO208C, but I could count hours in another, physically identical, UK registered BO208C which is an EASA aircraft.

I am not sure where that comes from, but that would be a complete nonsense, then how come hours in an N-reg C152 counts? it is not “EASA aircraft” after all…

Last Edited by Ibra at 24 Nov 20:37
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

EASA Aircraft.

It is anything which has an EASA Type Certificate – regardless of the actual registration.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, that is what I had in mind and it is somehow clear

How you register the aircraft, which country you register it and how you maintain airworthiness should not matter, but you get a bit of interpretations and loose definitions left and right on this topic…

Last Edited by Ibra at 24 Nov 21:25
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Depends on the context Peter. The ANO interpretation in sched 1 is:

“EASA aircraft” means an aircraft which is required by the Basic EASA Regulation and any implementing rules adopted by the Commission in accordance with that Regulation to hold an EASA certificate of airworthiness, an EASA restricted certificate of airworthiness or an EASA permit to fly;
London, United Kingdom

Art 21 of the new Basic Regulation

6. Training and experience on aircraft not subject to this Regulation may be recognised for the purpose of obtaining
the pilot licence referred to in paragraph 1 of this Article, in accordance with the implementing acts referred to in
point (c)(iv) of Article 23(1).

Art 23

1. In order to ensure the uniform implementation of, and compliance with, the essential requirements referred to in
Article 20 in respect of pilots who are involved in the operation of aircraft referred to in point (b) of Article 2(1), other
than unmanned aircraft, the Commission shall, on the basis of the principles set out in Article 4 and with a view to
achieving the objectives set out in Article 1, adopt implementing acts laying down detailed provisions concerning:

(c) the rules and procedures for issuing, maintaining, amending, limiting, suspending or revoking pilot licences, ratings
and pilot medical certificates, including:

(iv) the rules and procedures for the recognition of training and experience on aircraft not subject to this Regulation
for the purposes of obtaining pilot licences referred to in Article 21(1).

The manned aircraft referred to in point (b) of Article 2(1) are those:

(i) registered in a Member State, unless and to the extent that the Member State has transferred its responsibilities
pursuant to the Chicago Convention to a third country and the aircraft is operated by a third country aircraft
operator; [or]
(ii) registered in a third country and operated by an aircraft operator established, residing or with a principal place
of business in the territory to which the Treaties apply;

London, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message