Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Registration question (CZ)

10 Posts

Does anyone whether it is possible to register a factory-built experimental with the Czech CAA?

Background:

I’m trying to see if I can get a new Pipistrel Virus SW, and register it here in CZ, where I reside. Correct me if wrong, but if I register it as an experimental with the CAA, hours count toward a PPL license. Scouring documents online and contacting the CAA here have thus far not yielded a clear answer to this. I have the option of registering in Poland too (where the Virus has a TC), but I’ve been told that if I do, the hours do not count.

Woj
LKLT, Czech Republic

I asked someone in CZ and he told me there is a Mig 15 OK-UTI.

I would say a Mig was probably factory built and it definitely doesn’t have an ICAO CofA

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I asked someone in CZ and he told me there is a Mig 15 OK-UTI.

Looks like it! Seems this is the one: https://www.flying-legends.cz/?lang=en&v=928568b84963

Last Edited by Woj at 04 Jan 09:55
Woj
LKLT, Czech Republic

Woj wrote:

experimental with the CAA, hours count toward a PPL license

That Pipistrel Virus SW has an EASA type certificate, so those hours should count for PPL in any European regs if it is registered as fixed wing SEP(L) with the NAA

I am not sure what “experimental” means in CZ but the hours should count if this means Permit or Private/Public full/restricted CoFA as long as the stated type in the certificate is a fixed wing SEP(L)…

If it is registered in the deregulated space microlight/lsa/ulm, they probably don’t count (at least the case of the UK, completly the opposite in the US) but who knows: the answer generally depends on who you speak with, which license you and the aircraft fly on

I PM to you two contacts one is microlight pilot and the other one is a lawyer, they know these things very well

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Jan 10:20
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Thanks for the contacts, Ibra. I’ll check them out.

Ibra wrote:

That Pipistrel Virus SW has an EASA type certificate, so those hours should count for PPL in any European regs if it is registered as fixed wing SEP(L) with the NAA

I’m not looking at getting the type certified version of the plane. I’d like to get one with the 912is engine, and extended range tanks among other things, which are not offered on the EASA-certified version.

Woj
LKLT, Czech Republic

Yes in the UK, you can get the certified version (these also can have Rotax912) or the non-certified version, as always lot of pros/cons of one regime versus the other….

The later is non-easa on BMAA PtF (e.g. microlight, ULM, LSA, sports or whatever they call it somewhere else) under amateur built category, max 600kg MTOW and some random type: virus XXX 912s that list your engine…

You can even have it as motor-glider under UK BGA but you will be the first guy to try

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Jan 10:56
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Yeah, I’d like to be able to register it with the Czech CAA since I live here.

Woj
LKLT, Czech Republic

Why don’t you contact Pipistrel? They want to sell their aircraft so they should be able to investigate on your behalf. Or copy the process from any previous customer in Czech Republic. Also, it seems that any time soon it will be possible to register 600kg factory built airplane in ultralight category. In such a case you might be able to register it as an ultralight in CZ.

LKHK, Czech Republic

I went through the process of registering my aircraft as an experimental with the Czech CAA.
It took about nine months, involved quite some paperwork, but the CAA team was most helpful. They know that papers are a necessity, but flying is the goal.
I registered a secondhand homebuilt, so in the first step of the process my aircraft had to be registered as a type (the homebuilder is the manufacturer). In your case it shall be much easier.
I got the Special Certificate of Airworthiness, that is to be renewed annually. The renewal is a straightforward and quick process.
I also defined a Maintenance Plan that has been approved by the CAA, and that makes the maintenance easy.
And finally, thanks to the paperwork that I had to do, I do understand my aircraft much better.
As to whether experimental flying counts towards PPL, I do not know. Certainly PPL is required to fly it, thus hopefully the hours do count.

Thanks Pavel, that’s helpful to know. The plane is (UL) certified in a bunch of different countries around CZ so I hope that with the proper documentation from the factory, it will be straightforward.

Woj
LKLT, Czech Republic
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message