Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Building a kit plane: Kitfox S7 versus Rans S21 (or continue dreaming of a RV)?

Maybe a Bestmann would be better in the cold…

(FYI there are something like eleven Buckers at my home base, most in Swiss colors despite being Spanish built)

Mooney_Driver wrote:

And if you want to have a particularly special flight, you should come in winter and take part in either the Schlapin or Arosa fly in. I can connect you with pilots who go there.

I would love to do that.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 07 Feb 20:06

Silvaire wrote:

Regardless, if I were based in Switzerland I’d choose a Jungmann if I could.

Yes, it is a beautiful aircraft.
LKTB->EGBJ, United Kingdom

a_kraut wrote:

Microlight: safe, versatile, shiny, sometimes fast planes. Very good STOLand climb performance. IFR impossible
Experimental: sexy, fun planes with sometime very good performance. IFR impossible
Certified: safe, solid, average performance, a bit boring, high maintenance costs. IFR possible

I think the question here is to build or not to build. If the choice is not to build, then you are left with what your wallet allows and the market can supply. If thinking in terms of “mission profile” then an RV will beat them all. An RV (4,6,7,8,14) is good at everything; Short field, “fun flying”, touring, IFR, acro. This is what makes them stand out, and why there are so many of them. No matter what your “mission profile” is, an RV will fit right in. It’s like a Swiss Army knife. You can build microlights also. There is also the Sonex line of aircraft. They fly like an RV, short field, acro, high cruise speed etc (with the right engine), but are smaller. They are easier to build, but not as refined.

My list would be:
Microlight: Short field, fun flying, touring, building
Experimental: All the above + IFR, acro
Certified: All the above – building

The problem with certified is that you cannot find one plane that fits everything. Your best choice is a C-152 aerobat or some Yak or an old military trainer (with all their limitations).

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

A 500-1000mm lens does wonders for perspective

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

Experimental: All the above + IFR

Unless it’s not that easy and not universal. in D, for instance, you have go go great lengths to go IR with an experimental.
LeSving wrote:

The problem with certified is that you cannot find one plane that fits everything.

You can’t find this in an experimental, either.

LeSving wrote:

Your best choice is a C-152 aerobat or some Yak or an old military trainer (with all their limitations).

Yeah… sure. Or a BO208, BO209, SF23, Robin 2160, RF5, RF6, CAP10, EA300LT, G115, G120, Fuji 200, Zlin 26 series, Zlin 43 series, 7GCBC, 8KCAB, Great Lakes 2T-1A-1, Siat 223, SF260, P149, Pitts S2A & S2B, My103, XA42, GB1 … Just to name the ones I know were on the market in the past 5 years at least twice…

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

mh wrote:

in D, for instance, you have go go great lengths to go IR with an experimental.

Is it actually possible in Germany, IFR flight on experimental?

EGTR

mh wrote:

Just to name the ones I know were on the market in the past 5 years at least twice…

Needle in the haystack kind of aircraft Besides, most of those are vintage.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
87 Posts
Sign in to add your message