Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

High school building a plane (in US)

10 Posts

There are several there.

Who starts here :) ?

LFOU, France

It’s been done successfully in the UK. Reported in the LAA Magazine.
I know a guy who approached his local schools, a few years ago. I think he did it at too high a level. First get the school Tech dept on your side. He got enthusiasm higher up. Nothing happened.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I’ve been trying to figure out a way to get money to do this in my university. Slightly more difficult in a physics department to convince people! We have a degree course in Aviation Management so I need to find the right people to talk to.

EIMH, Ireland

Is there a link for the UK project ?

LFOU, France

@zuutroy you need to chat to guys in Carlow IT who built an RV. Not sure if it ever flew.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

It is done ar several of the high schools in Western France. A school at Cholet for instance built an MCR4s and others are building Jodels etc from plans.There is also the BIA (the brevet initiation aeronautique) which forms part of a baccalaureate course. Leading up to the lockdown there were several local lycée making parts for the rebuilding of the 3/4 scale Mosquito.
In the original version the members of the group who built the aircraft had to craft many pieces by hand. The group has got older and the leader has moved on to renovating a helicopter, so now the young people are helping out. Funds come from a range of places such as members of the group, individuals who would like to see the aircraft in the air again (including many Brits) and education and training budgets.

France

zuutroy wrote:

I’ve been trying to figure out a way to get money to do this in my university.

There is a huge tradition of these kind of things in some German universities (aka “Akaflieg” which is short for academic flight club). This tradition does not only include “bringing students into the air”, but also of developing and building their own aircraft – and made significant contributions to the development esp. of glider design and construction.
Most of these things are, however, not financed by the university but by sponsors, members, former members, donations, etc. Universities typically only contribute to funding (beyond providing some infrastructure for free) if there is a specific research project (e.g. from an aerodynamics department) that is done there. This is also one of the reasons why these initiatives are mainly active in gliders as they are much cheaper to build and operate.

Therefore I would not spend (waste?) too much time to try to find “official” university money but rather look for friends, sponsors, supporters, etc.

Germany

Especially that money given to a Uni can usually be a tax write-off.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

There’s a bit in the July LAA magazine about one in England.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Plane_Is_Born
Also interesting project in this connection. A couple of years ago already, but still…

EDLE
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message