Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The Explorer

This aircraft somehow has just passed me by un-noticed. The Explorer

Don’t like the price though, US$ 850 k for a kit , but that is with a factory new PW PT6A

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

No surprise. With this data it will remain unnoticed.

Max cruise speed 165 KTAS @ FL180 burning 36 USG (PT6 with 680 SHP). I can see it useful only in paradropping operations but for that it has to be certified aircraft. Honestly, I see no future for it.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Reading a bit more, it was among the most popular planes at Oshkosh in 2019. The target is obviously North America, even though it’s a German plane with the factory in Germany. It’s a German pilot, Frank Koinzer, who simply gathered some people and made his dream plane. In the process, it became clear that others also wanted such a plane, so he made it in kit form.

Emir wrote:

I can see it useful only in paradropping operations but for that it has to be certified aircraft

Why?

If I had 1m € laying around, then I would have given it some thought perhaps, but for that money a turbine helicopter would be higher on the list. Really cool plane though

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

This may be cheaper and possibly more practical.

Might a Turbine Beaver also fit the bill? Perhaps The Explorer is aimed at the DHC Beaver market if it ever went into production as a certified aircraft?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I can’t imagine anybody calling a plane “Beaver” today

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

I can see it useful only in paradropping operations but for that it has to be certified aircraft.

Why?

Because I don’t know how you can legally run A to A operation (plus paradropping) in Europe on experimental aircraft. AFAIK no EASA country would allow it.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

There is (was?) a turbine Wilga called Draco as well.

Last Edited by tmo at 05 Sep 07:52
tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Emir wrote:

Because I don’t know how you can legally run A to A operation (plus paradropping) in Europe on experimental aircraft. AFAIK no EASA country would allow it.

I don’t see the problem. You certainly can run “non EASA” operations with “non EASA” aircraft. Is there a regulation saying dropping jumpers has to be done with “EASA aircraft” ?

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

DRACO was the star of Oshkosh 2019. Never heard of the explorer

Looks like the ultimate backcountry family plane ! The True Flying SUV !
If I was american and had the money, I would look into it for weekends at Johnson creek

What is most surprising … is that this plane is German !!
(The protytpe is N reg so they flight test in the US)

LFOU, France

tmo wrote:

There is (was?) a turbine Wilga called Draco as well.

Was. Mike Patey (the designer/builder/pilot) crashed it whilst trying to take off in too strong a crosswind. I think he has plans to re-built it.

EDLN/EDLF, Germany
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message