Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

France accepts UK sub-ICAO licences and medical declarations

Ibra wrote:

You can fly to France on non-Part21 amateur built aircraft (likely on LAA PtF G-reg & day VFR) on PMD, the authorisation is max is 28 days and aeroplane need 15h TTF & 50 TNG

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/loda/article_lc/LEGIARTI000036530429/2021-06-04

It’s not just PMD, you can fly amateur built vintage G-reg glider in France with BGA papers & driving DVLA group 1 standard (Annex A), for Part21 G-reg glider you need SPL/LAPL medicals and the BGA papers are worthless…

@Ibra, it does not say about a PMD in this link.

EGTR

Come on, it does not say anything about DVLA neither…I doubt DGAC know what DVLA/PMD medical means? but they are happy for an 80 years old man to use to fly his K6 on DVLA? if they want to mean “ICAO compliant paper” they would have said so? for instance, to use NPPL SSEA & SLMG in France in Part21 aeroplane, they DO ask for Class 2 ICAO compliant medical and documents to show compliance with ICAO differences: like QXC, solo hours, FRTOL, ELP…

PS: This is a bit like US FAR does not say anything if CBIR or IMCr or SEP are valid on N-reg in UK airspace

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Mar 10:07
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

With regards to the LAA quote I took that from the Federation RSA site as I did the reference to the CAP. I have not read LAA TL 2.08 but I will look again to see if I can identify the CAP.

France

@Ibra, it does not say about a PMD in this link.

Effectively, it does. It says “titre aéronautique et des qualifications associées permettant de voler sur cet aéronef”. If you have a licence and corresponding qualifications (medical and/or otherwise) allowing you to fly the amateur-built aircraft in its state of registry, that’s good for 28 days in France.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

That’s what it says in Federation RSA literature also, pointing.out that it’s the LAA who are the “policemen” on UK reg. aircraft. But it also points out that it is a 2 way agreement and when French registered aircraft fly in UK it is the DGAC who are the " police"
What I mean by police is that if licence, medical is okay to fly a particular aircraft in the UK then the same applies when they are flying that in France for 28days and vice versa.
Meanwhile France are negotiating bilateral agreements with other European countries, along the same lines but some of them for the moment require a fee (possibly annual one) IIUC this seems to average around €90.

France

Are you allowed to keep a UK registered Microlight in the EU year around and fly with the NPPL as long as you don’t fly more than the allowed 28 consecutive in the case of France?

LPPM / LFBL, Portugal

I don’t think that is generally true, and it may not be true at all.

This thread discusses whether the NPPL is valid in France.

The 28 days is a different thing. France and the UK concurrently brought in a rule – here that banned foreign reg uncertified aircraft being based there for more than 28 days. I don’t know whether this applies to ultralights but I am sure it does.

Regarding other countries, the UK LAA tries to block people keeping G-regs outside the UK – see e.g. here. Clearly you can get around it, either with a friendly LAA inspector who pretends he inspected your plane in the UK, or by flying it back to the UK once a year and pretending it lives there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You need permit to use NPPL(M) while flying G-reg Microlight in France, maybe worth checking with BMAA? the UK NPPL(A) is valid in France but need Class2 (although the exemption disappeared from the law but who cares), the Microlight need a permit to fly across borders

Also if you are planing to base it, I don’t get what are you trying to achieve?

Is it sub-525kg? YES
- You can convert NPPL to ULM with barely 2h flight with local ULM instructor, if you are current on type, especially if you arrive using it from UK before jumping in his ULM (they charge 60€ to sign the paper)
- Putting a Microlight on F-reg you get to enjoy more ULM freedom and better insurance terms

Last Edited by Ibra at 21 Mar 21:06
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

ULM in France is self declaration for everything. You just sign a piece of paper which says that on your honour the aircraft meets ULM regs that you are fit to fly and that you have the correct licence to fly it.
Some Brits at the weekend who arrived in a RV8 were asking about this and we were joking that sometimes you might be stopped by the air police and asked let’s say about being under MTOM especially after the Christmas eating binge. You just tell them that you are under MTOM " honestly sir" and they should take your word for it.
For Annexe 1 NPPL etc is it not explained in CAP733. I have seen a UK version somewhere.

France

Can anyone explain the rationale of accepting a medical declaration if you are flying a “homebuilt” but not accepting it if you are flying a “certified”?

I struggle to explain this to someone else.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message