Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

600 Kg Aircraft

France charge €50 for a UL of 600kg. I can not confirm this as I have never tried flying a 600kg in France.

It’s here (boscomantico probably quoted the same screenshots)

https://www.ecologie.gouv.fr/aeronefs-etrangers

Actually for Blois, the exemption is to avoid paying 50€ for 600kg

Last Edited by Ibra at 29 Aug 15:54
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Thanks for the links. Interesting that France are making the same charge for everything up to 5.7tonnes. So not just microlights. The DGAC obviously decided not to make a difference for some reason.

France

gallois wrote:

Interesting that France are making the same charge for everything up to 5.7tonnes. So not just microlights. The DGAC obviously decided not to make a difference for some reason.

Not quite, because:

“Specific case of amateur-built aircraft
Amateur built aircraft, registered in a European Economic Area member State, in Switzerland or in the United Kingdom are allowed to overfly the French territory without prior validation of their airworthiness document for a maximum of 90 cumulated days over the last twelve months. All days from the time the aircraft enters French airspace to the time it leaves French airspace are taken into account, whether or not flights have actually taken place

For amateur built aircraf registered in other States, a validation of their foreign airworthiness document (and potentially of the aeronautical title of their pilot) shall be obtained."

So no seperate permission needed to enter France with a homebuilt.

Last Edited by europaxs at 30 Aug 05:19
EDLE

Yes better stop mixing homebuilts aeroplanes and factorybuilts microlights, the whole permission thingy is market protection, it applies for the latter not the former !

Last Edited by Ibra at 30 Aug 06:52
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Yes better stop mixing homebuilts aeroplanes and factorybuilts microlights

Not going to happen unfortunately

EDLE

There is also amateur built ULs I think this confusion is due to different rules in every country, and lack of definition of what different organisations actually mean.

In Norway an UL is an UL no matter what. Factory built or built from scratch makes no difference.

An aircraft registered as an experimental can be anything. Mostly it is an amateur built, but could also be factory built. It doesn’t matter, because an experimental registered plane is an experimental registered plane, they are all in the same category.

Then the ECAC rule is about amateur built aircraft. But what kind? It doesn’t say, but taking the history into account it’s obvious they mean an amateur built as in the experimental category (not UL). You really have to know the history for this to make sense. People born after 1980 would have little clue.

These new French regs is obvious to me, but is it obvious to others? What about the rule makers themselves? When are they born ? It’s not perfectly clear IMO.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

@LeSving – I honestly have no idea about amateur built Microlights. I confess I was rather thinking about “normal amateur built” exemplars like Europa, Van’s, Lancair, Glasair etc.

In my country (Germany) amateur built Microlights are very rare.

EDLE

That even emphasises, what I’ve written…

In my country (Germany) amateur built Microlights are very rare.

But they exist…

Hence the difficulty of not mixing up the two categories. I do my best but we will just end up with two threads.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Agreed the categories are different. French ULMs are split into 6 categories running from the paramotor to UL helicopters.
They can be plans built, kit built or factory built as long as they meet the limits set in regulation.
Some aircraft eg Jodel D19 which can be registered as a ULM or Annexe 1. Its the choice of the builder.

France

the whole permission thingy is market protection

How would that benefit the manufacturers?

I would have thought they would want zero controls. Currently these types are bought by people who either don’t care (almost never fly abroad, or “just fly”) or don’t know (and find out after they paid for it – like one *fox owner I know).

IMHO the controls are there because these types are sub-ICAO, therefore the starting point is no privileges whatsoever, but pressure on the various CAAs from national bodies had resulted in a matrix of permits. The reason why the permit matrix is different for “homebuilts” versus “ultralights” is because these have different representative organisations, who mostly don’t talk to each other

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message