Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Yamaha will produce aircraft engines for non-certified aircraft

Apparently.

Last Edited by LeSving at 01 Jul 19:22
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I think the engine shown is the MT/FZ-07 which makes about 65 HP, so with a gearbox useable for the type of aircraft shown. How it would do sitting at 8000 RPM for hours on end is something to consider, I wouldn’t expect a 2000 hr TBR or anything close. It may be that Yamaha like Honda before them will develop a more dedicated aero-engine design, but the power level for that engine does look ‘about right’ as a competitor to two stroke engines at the low power end of the market.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 01 Jul 19:45

I’ve not flown much in the way of high RPM/geared engines, but I did notice in the Rotax-powered Europa that I had a few hours in, where you cruise at around 5400 RPM, it did sound very weird. On the other hand, it felt much smoother (engine mounts and airframe is essentially a low pass filter for vibration, so the higher frequency the vibrations are, the better they are attenuated), and because the prop and engine are no longer making harmonics of each other, the sound energy spectrum was a lot more spread out so it also felt a lot quieter than a big direct drive engine.

Andreas IOM

As he said in the video. The airplane is a Rans (or looks very much like it), the engine is a MC engine. They haven’t started yet, so both the engine and the airplane are probably just “placeholders” for something to come. But looking at the press release they say this is the engine and the aircraft they are starting with.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message