Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lancair IVP-T Propjet D-EKMW - is the 1200nm+ range real, and can it fly IFR?

gallois wrote:

Of course its not wrong, everyone knows the moon is made of Roquefort

Agree, Roquefort it is There is an exception though. At “blood moon” it is definitely made of Brown Cheese:

But, to the original question:
“Can this type of aircraft be flown IFR in EU?”
If it can or cannot in this context can only mean within EASA regulations, as those are the only EU regulations in existence. EASA say nothing about this. In fact, the only thing EASA has to say, is that “this type of aircraft” is not part of EASA regulations. Since there are no EASA regulations preventing it, it surely can fly “in EU”.

The entity that has something to say is ECAC. ECAC is not EU, ECAC is not EASA. Even the UK is a member of ECAC + 43 other states. EU only has 27 states, EASA about 30. According to ECAC, “this kind of aircraft” can be flown freely within ECAC states, with no other restrictions than those found in the CofA or “permit”.

The other entities having something to say are all the national CAAs. They could or could not care about EASA or ECAC in this context, (or their own national regulations for that matter). In principle they can, and do, make their own regulations for “their own” aircraft of “this type”, and they could also put restrictions on other country’s aircraft (operational restrictions for all such kind of aircraft).

The only answer to the original question is YES, without reservation. Nothing in the EASA regulations prevents this. But, this is surely? not the answer antonio was looking for, hence the question is wrong when a simple YES does not give a satisfactory answer, even though it is 100% correct.

I’l stop now

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Whether an aircraft without an ICAO CofA can be flown to/over Country X depends on that country’s airspace (and long term parking, if applicable) regulations.

ECAC is not a regulatory body, so irrelevant in this.

Done this above.

Avoiding these questions is doing a dis-service to those who are less informed and who splashed out 6 figures on some non-certified plane, after they read on some forum they can fly it anywhere, VFR or IFR.

The original advert says nothing about IFR and IMHO there is no way a seller who has a permit without the VFR-only restriction would fail to advertise that aspect heavily. “IFR” is always advertised very visibly on any homebuilt aircraft – because it is so rare. The advert however contains a link to a magazine article in German, from 2009 which may contain more information. Maybe a German speaker can take a look.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Whether an aircraft without an ICAO CofA can be flown to/over Country X depends on that country’s airspace (and long term parking, if applicable) regulations.

Not necessarily. In EU (using pure EASA regulations), you can fly an EASA LSA with an EASA LAPL. Both of which are non ICAO and both are valid throughout EASA-land. It’s not unreasonable to think that a similar regime exists in all of EASA also for experimental homebuilt. It’s just that it doesn’t.

ECAC is not a regulatory body, so irrelevant in this.

It’s about international agreements, agreed upon by all members to that agreement. Nothing different in principle than the ICAO. It’s also not a regulatory body, and carries no legal obligations.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Lack of clarity!

In EU (using pure EASA regulations), you can fly an EASA LSA with an EASA LAPL

That is a flight crew licensing (FCL) rule which is within EASA jurisdiction.

Unfortunately that is only a bit of how flight privileges work. You need all of the following to line up

• license privileges (broadly speaking, license issued by the country of the aircraft registration → worldwide privileges, and note there is no “2 out of 3” rule )*
  • aircraft limitations (the CofA or Permit may have limitations e.g. no night, no IFR, along with obvious stuff like MTOW)
  • airspace “limitations” (for ICAO CofA, these are generally open in the 1st World; for Permit, these are closed by default and open on a per-country basis)
  • parking limitations (as above, with some oddball stuff like here for CofA and here for Permit)

If any of the above are a “no” then you can’t do it.

I have an FAA CPL/IR and I could jump into an N-reg TBM and fly it, legally. So, let’s see, what happens if I fly to Norway:

• in the UK I would be illegal because of this and I don’t have HPA
  • in Norway I would be illegal after x days’ parking
  • oh and nobody would insure me

* a license can also contain limitations e.g. the UK IMCR is limited to Class D-G and UK airspace only, but this is rare. The EASA LAPL is AFAIK not territorially limited but is useless outside EASA-land due to the non-ICAO medical… etc. Is the French UL license (the one which doesn’t need a medical at all) limited to France?

Administrator

The French ULM licence is probably not accepted outiside of France unless you a flying F reg. and then it depends on the country. Most seem quite happy to allow it, but that is not guaranteed. I know this is a useless answer but I know many who have flown their ULM all over Europe and Africa on their ULM licences without problem. I know other ULM pilots who would not fly to certain countries without taking their PPL and Class 2 medical with them, just in case.

France

Peter wrote:

Is the French UL license (the one which doesn’t need a medical at all) limited to France?

Not that I know. The French UL license probably goes anywhere, but maybe you need an additional medical license not needed in France. A standard LAPL medical will do just fine, or some relevant air sport medical “license”.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Is the French UL license (the one which doesn’t need a medical at all) limited to France?

Legally yes. Other countries may or may not recognise it, or impose restrictions (no access to controlled airspace in Switzerland).

Conversely one cannot fly a french UL with a foreign PPL – a specific ground and flight test is required.

T28
Switzerland

Does it say on the actual UL license that it is limited to France?

Administrator

No, but neither does it need to or is legally required to.

Any national license is limited to the territory where the legislation governing its issuance applies. By default that stops at the national borders unless there is an international mutual recognition treaty in which case it extends to signatory states subject to treaty provisions, or there is a discretionary recognition by a given country.

Since there is no international convention governing ULM licenses…

Last Edited by T28 at 27 Jul 18:48
T28
Switzerland

I doubt French ULM paper is valid to fly elsewhere without RT certificate? English LP? and Class 2 medical? but people have done those flights without those papers usually as part of ULM ralley where everything was organised, insusred and and no one cares as long as reg matches licenece and you wear some t-shirt with ralley logo & the year….

I think it’s the only way how lot of pilots “travel international”: with other pilots in a gaggle wearing the same hats

I expect any national restrictions to be written on the licenece? but the final say is the NAA of the country owing the airspace, I have flown a German glider in Morocco with UK BGA papers, the NAA asked to have scans of my RT certificate & Class 2 medical (I do have a PPL but UK never had an ICAO SPL), they sent an email saying it’s fine as long as it’s “day only”…

Last Edited by Ibra at 27 Jul 21:11
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message