Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lancair IVP-T Propjet D-EKMW - is the 1200nm+ range real, and can it fly IFR?

Peter wrote:

The bottom line is that this Lanc IVP is prob99 VFR-only – worldwide.

According to which logic?

The only possibilities here are the approval letter sent back from LBA say:

• Nothing about VFR/IFR
  • Is checked for VFR but not checked for IFR
  • Is checked for VFR and for IFR

My gut feeling is the first alternative, then the third and lastly the second.

T28 wrote:

Not really. An IFR approval in Germany is quite involved and requires use of certified parts. The build is close to CS23 standards.

Having read a bit more on the OUV site, there seems to be lots of restrictions:

1. The kit has to be approved up front, and the build has to be done exactly according to the approval
  2. Changes from the above requires special approval (EMZ)
  3. Max two seats. More seats requires much more testing

But it also say as long as you do that, there are no restrictions on the aircraft. It becomes like a standard category aircraft under the class it is built (JAR-23, JAR-VLA, JAR-22 etc)

However it also say that the operational limitations for these particular aircraft in Germany is:

• Not allowed to fly over crowded places
  • Only day VFR

Anyway, I would think the current owner knows the facts, and don’t need to speculate like us

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

… i think you just proved Peter’s point…

Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

… i think you just proved Peter’s point…

Explain how please

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Explain how please

With the bullet “day VFR only”, isn’t it? I’ve only third hand knowledge, but this is consistent with what I know about self made planes….in Germany.

Last Edited by UdoR at 01 Aug 16:14
Germany

Yes, well, that is (as far as I can gather) an operational limitation for German aircraft in German airspace, not a limitation on the aircraft itself. A speed limit of 100 km/h on a high way doesn’t mean cars are stamped with a text saying: “only valid for speed <= 100 km/h”. The question is more why anyone would build an aircraft capable of IFR if airspace regulation forbids such operation. Who knows? but obviously it is not built by someone who’s intention is to fly exclusively in German airspace.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

It’s generally possible to apply for IFR in Germany with a homebuilt. However no one went down the route to the end so far (but I know of at least one RV 7 builder who is in the process currently). It was already mentioned, that at least some certified parts have to be used, of which a certified propeller is one of them. Anyway it’s not an easy task.

However travelling abroad VFR in a homebuilt is rather easy within Europe thanks to ECAC.

EDLE
66 Posts
Sign in to add your message