Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The RV15 High wing bush plane

Announced today, the RV-15. High wing, back-country capable

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Welcome in a highly competitive field.
And whilst back-country flying thrives in the US, overpopulation and growing associated environmental concerns/restrictions severely limit the utility of such a design in EU.
Aficionados and repeat builders will nevertheless go for it.

Last Edited by Dan at 27 Jul 06:11
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Backcountry means short takeoff and landing – I agree true backcountry as it is done in the states is not really a thing in the EU but if its light enough it would be welcome on the ULM fields.

Great news !!!
Can’t wait to see it. Rans is running far ahead with the S21 but it will be a interesting battle :)

It will have a control stick, it’s all we know !

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 27 Jul 09:18
LFOU, France

Well, short of Lancair (turbine or no turbine ✈️ ), every GA aircraft is “backcountry capable”. Bigger wheels, and a C-172 will land everywhere. What is thought of here (prob 95 IMO) is mainly luggage space first and foremost, then pay load and endurance. The main competitor will obviously be the Glastar:

)

I think the RV-15 will be an “all metal Glastar”: fast for long cross country flights, long endurance, huge luggage capabilities (both space and load) and the ability to land just about everywhere. As far as bush flying goes, there are several stories about people flying into the bush with a Cub, only to find an RV-4 there

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

As far as bush flying goes, there are several stories about people flying into the bush with a Cub, only to find an RV-4 there

LOL
With Glasair pretty much out of business, I think the S21 is the main target. The kitfox is one too.
It could look like a high wing RV14. An IO-390 combined with a 2 seats cabin leaves a lot of power for STOL or cruise performance
Vans has some very talented engineers

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 27 Jul 13:24
LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

With Glasair pretty much out of business

I read they are back again, but without the “2 weeks” option. I have never looked at the S21, but it does seem to be in the same category, although a bit more “bushy” than the Glastar perhaps. The Bearhawk is also one. It’s really odd these aircraft are not more popular in Europe. They are made for travelling. 2 persons and loads of luggage, good cruise performance, and can land at every little strip there is.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I made spreadsheets for various Vans products and the S21.
It gets to the level of new flying (non-kit) ULs, if not higher.
So why just order a kit if you can buy a plane for the same money ?
I am not even considering the Glasair.

Amateur builds in France are more in the 15-40k€ all in, way below any compete aircraft. Hence the plans-and-wood construction.
Not the same money around

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 27 Jul 14:36
LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

It gets to the level of new flying (non-kit) ULs, if not higher.

Yes, but the Glasair, S21 etc have room for two (big) persons, a huge luggage compartment along with full fuel tanks. If you “need” the luggage and fuel capabilities, an UL just won’t work.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

The Jodel D140 can do all of that, and are still being built from plans.
The armée de l’air also use them as glider tugs. OK not fast but very useful for STOL fields.
And with the amateur build you can put whatever interior seating and avionics you want.

France
32 Posts
Sign in to add your message