Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Twin RV

Here

He figured out performance on one engine, including the potential loss of one engine on takeoff. Jim limits the airplane to runways at least 3,500 feet long, he said, to give enough room for aborting a takeoff if sufficient single-engine airspeed has not been achieved. But at speed, “I get about 200 feet a minute on one engine,” he added.

That’s better than some certified twins

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It’s not bad – 2×120hp Corvair engines. What if it was 2×141hp Rotax 915?
Although, 2xCorvair should be OK in terms of cost – both for fuel and engine reserve.

EGTR

Wing Derringers with two IO-320s sell for maybe $75K and if I were looking for two seat twin, that would be my choice. I know a guy who has one. OTOH, it’s good to see people doing real home built experimentation, I was looking through some early-1980s Sport Aviation magazines the other day, and what a time it was… innovation and builder capability so much higher than today, with most planes now being built from kits.

Corvair engines when limited to reasonable prop RPM have low power density.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 01 Jan 20:45

Peter wrote:

But at speed, “I get about 200 feet a minute on one engine,” he added.

at sea level? that’s honestly pretty bad… As you cannot retract the gear on this thing I would be really, really worried flying this at all…

Last Edited by LFHNflightstudent at 02 Jan 09:47
LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

This Velocity Twin for sale on Barnstormers for $350K (!) might be of more interest to some… A similar concept in that it adds an engine to an existing single engine design, article here. If nothing else the tail number appears correct for the EuroGA audience

Last Edited by Silvaire at 18 Jan 21:32

What a great-looking aircraft! If it only were as fast as it looks…

Still, a lot better than "this POS known as the Raptor

Last Edited by Cobalt at 18 Jan 21:42
Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

What a great-looking aircraft! If it only were as fast as it looks…

How fast should it be? There’s an EU registered IO 550 twin turbo version, does 210Knots TAS in the flight levels…. up for sale for less than that. Or if you don’t want the fuel burn, there’s a 173 Velocity with IO390 for sale – however that only cruises at around 150Knots TAS, albeit at FL080

EDL*, Germany

If only the wife likes to go into one, she just told me NFW !!

Sorry guys low & slow

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 Mar 20:54
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message