Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Yaesu FTA 550/570 RAM mount

I embarked on a project to mill one out of Aluminium some time ago, but never got round to finishing it. I vaguely recall somebody may have 3d printed one? As I now own a 3d printer I am considering designing a mount if nobody else has made one available?

An admittedly cursory search hasn’t found one. I have found this, which might work.

That one doesn’t list the 550 under its compatibility list.

The way I normally do these things is by buying a charging base and machining off parts not needed, but the charger I have is just the base

with no way to hold the radio.

3D printing is great (my son does amazing stuff in it) but I am not sure you can 3D print the equivalent of acetal resin used for flexible parts.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I don’t see that I would need any flexible parts for what I have in mind, though springy bits and hinges aren’t out of the question. I’m thinking about retaining the spring clip on the back of the radio. If it goes into a recess, it shouldn’t jump out that easily. An alternative would be to unscrew the spring clip and then screw the radio onto the holder, which then screws onto a RAM ball mount. That would be great for a semi-permanent installation, but it would be annoying unless you could charge it in situ. My bigger concern is strength, though I’ve been pleasantly impressed by the ‘ABS-like’ resin I’m currently experimenting with.

Last Edited by kwlf at 07 Jan 23:33
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message