Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ultralight in Portugal, and how to get the UL license in English

In Spain you are not allowed to keep a foreign-reg UL for more than 6 months per year. But there are quite a few foreigner that don’t care and either ask for the 6 month permit (which is actually a ‘declaration’) and fly the other 6 months illegally, or don’t ask for the permit and stay below the radar. There is enforcement so this could get you into trouble, although I’ve personally never heard of any issues. Insurance is something to consider. Opinions differ whether this way of flying ‘illegally’ voids insurance. It’s just my gut feel, but I think it won’t.

Portugal: no idea. In general I hear stories that ANAC is more GA-oriented and practical than the Spanish are. I’m pretty sure they speak English well, so have you called them?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Wingover wrote:

I was told that for LAPL, the exam is in English (anywhere in the EU) so that might be my only option to go flying quickly. I will look into that.

There’s nothing that says the LAPL exam has to be in English and there’s no requirement to understand English to have a LAPL (or a PPL), so practically the exams will be in the local language. Possibly you can choose to have the exam in English or in the local language.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

aart wrote:

In Spain you are not allowed to keep a foreign-reg UL for more than 6 months per year.

Yes, I was told you can fly out for a day or two and come back to make it “legal”. Not sure I want to do that. The other issue is that Spain (and Portugal) has the old weight limit at 472.5KG MTOW vs other EU countries with 600 which really limits you for cross country, considering two people, fuel and small bag.

Airborne_Again wrote:

There’s nothing that says the LAPL exam has to be in English

I was told by every school I called that it is in English.

LPPM / LFBL, Portugal

Yes, I was told you can fly out for a day or two and come back to make it “legal”. Not sure I want to do that.

A common misconception. The rules clearly say that the aircraft needs to be outside of Spain for 6 months a year. So just having it based in Spain and not fly it for 6 months would also not be allowed..

The other issue is that Spain (and Portugal) has the old weight limit at 472.5KG MTOW vs other EU countries with 600 which really limits you for cross country, considering two people, fuel and small bag.

Spain has signed up for the 600kg opt-out, no idea about Portugal. However, the procedure to get an ULM on a EC-reg with 600 kg MTOW is still unclear AFAIUI. There is talk of being able to get an EC-reg on the basis of a 600 kg ‘certification’ of an ULM by some other countries like Germany and CZ, but I’m sure things will not be that easy over here.

Last Edited by aart at 22 Mar 10:48
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Wingover wrote:

I was told by every school I called that it is in English.

Then it is a national decision (which I don’t understand). In Sweden, the tests are in Swedish, although there is a possibility to take them in English if needed.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

In France IIRC the ULM theory exam is done online consists of about 10 questions with most of them being about signals and therefore not much language proficiency is required , although it will be in French. But then your instruction would be in French, also as most of the instructors do not speak a lot of English if any.
France has not signed up to 600kg bit did increase MTOM to 500kg, 525kg with chute and 550kg with floats.
So if you want to fly a 600kg ULM in France you would need to fly it on a LAPL or PPL.
I believe the LAPL theory can be done in English if done on a computer, so it would depend where you do the exams.

France

It helps if the OP describes which Microlight he is talking about

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

gallois wrote:

In France IIRC the ULM theory exam is done online consists of about 10 questions

Are you sure? A few schools that I spoke with in France said they they are happy to help with the flying part but they think it’s almost impossible to pass the online exam without speaking French. I paid for the GliGli questions to see what is involved and there are multiple subjects with many questions.

Ibra wrote:

It helps if the OP describes which Microlight he is talking about

I am looking at a Pipistrel Virus or Flight Design.

LPPM / LFBL, Portugal

I am sure you are “on the case” on this one, but anybody who has been in these countries will also tell you that without local language competence you will struggle to buy a banana, let alone buy fuel.

I once spent 3hrs at Salamanca trying to get avgas. Lots of people walking past, smiling politely and walking away. France is the same – way too many stories to post. Portugal; no idea but I would expect it to be identical.

And flying on the UL scene you don’t have the benefit of “international airports” where at least the tower staff are supposed to speak English (preferably at some intelligible level). But even at Cannes, ~3hrs trying to get avgas. The pump was all-French, even though a UK AIR BP card initially shows English text on the terminal, it later changes into French so you have no chance. One needs a person to help and this doesn’t always happen. Carcassonne was similar. Bastia – hours. The list is endless.

I’ve been doing this for 20 years. A reasonable level of local language is mandatory in S Europe, except former Yugoslavia, Greece, and such, where nobody expects visitors to learn their language.

I am not talking about getting accepted into the local community – that is what you want when you bought the farmhouse for a conversion, like so many Brits who thought French lessons will do it I am talking about just getting by at the most basic level.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I am sure you are “on the case” on this one, but anybody who has been in these countries will also tell you that without local language competence you will struggle to buy a banana, let alone buy fuel.

@Peter, you might be surprised by the level of English speakers in Portugal.

Sign in to add your message