Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Relaxation of Non-Certified Commercial Ops in EASA?

A DC3 is obviously an IFR certified aircraft.

The site Italianjon posted is offering cargo transport. That may be a grey area, because a PPL can carry cargo related to his business. So I can see one could interpret that in various ways. But the rest of the site PDF is clearly personal transport, although the exact details are missing.

One way to do this is to own the plane via a company, draw a salary/dividend from the company, and the company can charge you as much as you decide, and then when you pass that on to your passengers, you can be within EASA cost sharing rules. This will work even within th new UK rules (equal cost sharing by the pilot) and while it may appear to be a big loophole, I did check with the UK CAA many years ago and they said it is legal. It has to be, otherwise an employee of a flying school could not perform a cost shared flight in a plane rented from the school.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think the line between commercial ops and sharing etc is sometimes a bit fuzzy. Certainly that is the case when it comes to the ULM here.
For instance Vols de découverte are allowed, as they are in certified. Glider towing with ULMs is allowed and the pilot does not need a medical.
Banner towing is allowed in ULMs. And I can find no regulation (because the ULM scene is run on a self declaration of everything) that says you can not fly someone from A to B or anything regulating how much you can charge.
Of course the regulations that there are regarding MTOW, VFR day only etc. might limit the opportunity to make any real profit from these operations, which might also be why commercial operators don’t see them as competitors and therefore do nothing to push for regulation.
Having said that picking up an obviously paying passenger from A and taking them to B with anything that resembles a ticket or ticketing might attract some attention from regulators.

France

The website used to be advertising transport of people. Then it was modified to talk more about cargo later on. But the plane is for sale:
https://www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=52608
planecheck_I-D428_52608_pdf

Also discussion came up if a German living and based in Germany was actually allowd to fly an Italian registered ULM.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Ticketing or not makes little difference to legality of “charter”.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The entire thing is just crazy. I had a longer phone call with the pilot trying to outline with all respect this might not be the greatest idea. Many pilots spend so much money for IFR ratings, IFR capable planes etc. and somehow that must be for a reason. Possible passengers have no idea what they are getting themselves into.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Some UL/LSA/ULM have BRS fitted and glass cockpits with autopilots, they are all weather machines in the right hands (sarcasm )

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ha ha. Actually just about all ULMs around here have a parachute. I’m torn between how useful they really are in a ULM. Although I suppose one can always, unintentionally, get stuck in bad weather.
A recent FFA report says about a third of all ULM accidents are down to inexperience. So I hope that anyone who chooses to be a taxi passenger in a ULM checks the pilot’s experience thoroughly before doing so.

France

One thing about ULM BRS, we don’t know how reliable they are? and they only work when you know you have no option and you have not yet lost control of the aircraft, like engine failure with no landing options? run out of fuel? or conscious of getting stuck in weather?…it’s unlikely one would ever pull BRS chute after LOC-I?

Lot of ULM accidents are LOC-I in CAVOK right after takeoff or landing, the big majority are landing in gusty conditions, not sure how much BRS is useful…some ULM pilots fly in some serious stuff, I have come across one while ago, he flew to Norway in winter (he diverted 5 times), he also landed in Picardie with 40G55 on METAR as “he had to” (another ULM with BRS who was flying along with him was not so lucky)

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Apr 21:28
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

gallois wrote:

A recent FFA report says about a third of all ULM accidents are down to inexperience.

I would guess that’s the case with certified light GA as well.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Ibra wrote:

LOC-I

What does the “I” mean?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message