Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SSDR microlight for IFR?

I know few IFR LAA types, that road is very steep: LAA wing loading limit kills IFR show for anything with 1pob and light wings…one can be more lucky certifying it with CAA under CS23

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

But you don’t have to be member of FFPULM to fly ULM/SSDR in France? you may have to pay very very expensive insurance though (in UK you need to be member of BMAA to own/fly Microlights)

My impression is you don’t have to be a member of BMAA to fly SSDR. As long as your a/c is registered as SSDR nobody can regulate you on airworthy matters, no annuals etc. You’ll have to make a application to BMAA to get it registered. The application form explicitly stated fees for member and non-memebr so you can definitely apply without a membership.

I’d be happy to have a BHPA membership to get a insurance cover.

EGPT, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The UK LAA programme never did UL types.

@Peter, are you sure that is the case for the homebuilt microlights as well? My understanding was that the manufactureres go to BMAA and individual builders go to LAA.

EGTR

Peter wrote:

I have never heard of a UL being IFR certified. As to what regulation explicitly prohibits it, I have no idea.

The position of UL is a little bit different then other countries.
In legal terms, UL is classified as “Permit” in most countries, just the permit is omnibus and it comes with less constraints. However in UK SSDR is neither Permit nor CoA. A bit of legal vacuum…

As per my reading to ANO you don’t need any certification from regulators for airworthiness and limitations.

Last Edited by flygoat at 24 Jun 09:50
EGPT, United Kingdom

are you sure that is the case for the homebuilt microlights as well

No idea; I used that as an example of a dysfunctional scheme

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

arj1 wrote:

@Peter, are you sure that is the case for the homebuilt microlights as well? My understanding was that the manufactureres go to BMAA and individual builders go to LAA.

@arj1 Yes they do. But mostly for flexwing etc.
LAA’s engeering team holds more type specific information so builders tend to get permit from LAA if the model has a LAA acceptance.

Last Edited by flygoat at 24 Jun 10:01
EGPT, United Kingdom

I’ll try to get a clarification from UK CAA on this topic…

Last Edited by flygoat at 24 Jun 10:27
EGPT, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Again I want a legal text that prohibits it (bizzarly there is none in NCO, SERA, Legifrance…)

You won’t find it in NCO or SERA or any other EU regulation as UL are always nationally regulated.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message