Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SSDR microlight for IFR?

Ibra wrote:

Again I want a legal text that prohibits it (bizzarly there is none in NCO, SERA, Legifrance…)

You won’t find it in NCO or SERA or any other EU regulation as UL are always nationally regulated.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I’ll try to get a clarification from UK CAA on this topic…

Last Edited by flygoat at 24 Jun 10:27
EGPT, United Kingdom

arj1 wrote:

@Peter, are you sure that is the case for the homebuilt microlights as well? My understanding was that the manufactureres go to BMAA and individual builders go to LAA.

@arj1 Yes they do. But mostly for flexwing etc.
LAA’s engeering team holds more type specific information so builders tend to get permit from LAA if the model has a LAA acceptance.

Last Edited by flygoat at 24 Jun 10:01
EGPT, United Kingdom

are you sure that is the case for the homebuilt microlights as well

No idea; I used that as an example of a dysfunctional scheme

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I have never heard of a UL being IFR certified. As to what regulation explicitly prohibits it, I have no idea.

The position of UL is a little bit different then other countries.
In legal terms, UL is classified as “Permit” in most countries, just the permit is omnibus and it comes with less constraints. However in UK SSDR is neither Permit nor CoA. A bit of legal vacuum…

As per my reading to ANO you don’t need any certification from regulators for airworthiness and limitations.

Last Edited by flygoat at 24 Jun 09:50
EGPT, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The UK LAA programme never did UL types.

@Peter, are you sure that is the case for the homebuilt microlights as well? My understanding was that the manufactureres go to BMAA and individual builders go to LAA.

EGTR

Ibra wrote:

But you don’t have to be member of FFPULM to fly ULM/SSDR in France? you may have to pay very very expensive insurance though (in UK you need to be member of BMAA to own/fly Microlights)

My impression is you don’t have to be a member of BMAA to fly SSDR. As long as your a/c is registered as SSDR nobody can regulate you on airworthy matters, no annuals etc. You’ll have to make a application to BMAA to get it registered. The application form explicitly stated fees for member and non-memebr so you can definitely apply without a membership.

I’d be happy to have a BHPA membership to get a insurance cover.

EGPT, United Kingdom

I know few IFR LAA types, that road is very steep: LAA wing loading limit kills IFR show for anything with 1pob and light wings…one can be more lucky certifying it with CAA under CS23

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

The UK LAA programme never did UL types. That thread and this one are worth a read. I don’t know how far it got and reportedly it was moving very slowly several years ago when I last heard of it. Unfortunately most people who I knew to be connected to that UK programme have either disappeared or sold up.

As Peter so often reports it is difficult to stay OCAS in France

Not sure I ever said that but a) the issue isn’t CAS (France has plenty of Class G) but mil airspace, prohibited zones, etc, and b) it doesn’t appear applicable to this topic.

The OP is asking, AIUI, about the UK situation. A UL needs permits to fly to most countries, anyway, and getting it for IFR would be quite a stretch.

This may be relevant too.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

FFPULM plays the role ( possibly) the PFA does in UK. And it tends to be the FFPULM which deals with the DGAC over the matter of regulations in France. At this year’s FFPULM AGM its president, in his opening address said that the association would not be pushing for instrument flight for the reason I mentioned in my last post. It has never therefore been forbidden by the DGAC because it has never been requested. It has never been permitted either.
You are quite right you do not have to be a member of the FFPULM to fly your ULM in France but you do have to meet certain criteria eg the 500kg MTOW rule. This criteria has basically all been negotiated between the DGAC and the FFPULM. Its basis is “self declaration at all levels” medical, airworthiness, licencing. Although of course there are certain entry requitments. Eg you can’t just turn up and say I am perfectly fit to fly without at least a note from your doctor, agreeing to that. After that initial note its down to you to decide whether you are fit to fly or not. I have not seen reports of ULMs falling out of the sky due to pilot incapacitation, but then I haven’t read every report.
There are many advantages to being a member eg insurance negotiated at a block discount level, the get you home service and tooling and advice in the building and maintenance of your own aircraft.
As Peter so often reports it is difficult to stay OCAS in France, if you want to go anywhere other than locally or without a lot of twists and turns.
These days three axis ULMs are accepted in most places. I have not seen anything forbidding a 3axis ULM in the TMA/CTR of Nice but I don’t know of anyone who has had reason to try and land one there.

France
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message