Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Homebuilt / ultralight / permit (non ICAO CofA) and IFR - how?

Peter wrote:

We have gone over this ground so many times in different threads already.

The key Q, in this thread, is IFR.

The recommendation consists of only one piece, one single item.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Peter wrote:

the 28 days is here and elsewhere.

As I said, that standard exemption is only for European homebuilts as they state in para.1. In my case that option was not available.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

Martin wrote:

And I’m saying that because they’re not compliant, individual countries can do whatever they want. We might not like it, we might not like their reasoning, but they can do it.

Of course they can do whatever they want. That is not the issue. Almost all European nations have indeed agreed to the ECAC recommendation, because that is what they wanted to do. It allows free passage of homebuilt aircraft with no other restrictions than those found on the CofA/Permit.

The UK, as I understand it, say they agree, but puts on some restrictions that are not necessarily on a CofA. In effect they agree, and they don’t agree at the same time (as expected from the UK ) Legally, this will be a free pick. A person can pick whatever rule suits him, because the UK has not made up it’s mind. You cannot prosecute a person for doing something that is both right and wrong at the same time.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Almost all European nations have indeed agreed to the ECAC recommendation

You keep saying this but it is not true to a large extent. Here is the matrix which lists the approvals that are needed.

I am posting this only in case a new reader of EuroGA wants to get into the homebuilt scene and is not aware of this. For example I know a syndicate around one which has been flying for about 2 years and they didn’t know anything about this.

Homebuilts are a great option for getting into flying (or for getting an aircraft which simply does not exist as a certified type) but you need to know the limitations and decide whether this is OK for your “mission profile”. Most of the people who fly them are self evidently OK with it.

There are some who break the regs in a very visible way (seeing one on FR24 at FL240 on a Eurocontrol flight plan was what prompted me to write the original post ) but when one looks at these in more detail (where based, etc) it is very obvious that nearly all of them are people who would pay any fine, in cash, and with a nice smile. They will also be OK with it.

We’d like to see you arrive in a homebuilt to one of our fly-ins, LeSving It’s not at all difficult, VFR.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That list is old and only partially populated. Here is the “official list”, which is newer and more populated.

This recommendation is an ECAC thing. Just because some people are very inclined to the ""I reject your reality and substitute my own":

– principle, this is no proof of anything.

Peter wrote:

We’d like to see you arrive in a homebuilt to one of our fly-ins, LeSving It’s not at all difficult, VFR.

Well, I have to finish at least one of my aircraft first An even so, with this placard on the panel, flying 1/4 of the globe to get to Greece isn’t exactly first priority:

I’m not building travelling machines, at least I have no plans to fly any further than the Nordic countries (Although the RV-4 certainly can go anywhere). Maybe Germany at most for me. I find it much more fun to go at odd places in the middle of the “bush”, and we have enough “bush” to last for several lifetimes

Anyway, what you are talking about is mission profile, and that an average homebuilt will not fit your mission profile (flying to Greece in all kinds of weather). I read on the LAA site that each year, 100 aircraft are finished by homebuilders. How many new IFR hot rods (Cirrus, DA42) are sold in the UK each year? There aren’t sold 100 DA42s each year world wide. My “mission profile”; building my own aircraft, is much more representative, even here in EASA land, than touring around Europe. I mean, is some (lots?) of people don’t know they can travel virtually all over Europe without “permission” in their homebuilt, then they certainly should be told.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Thanks for that PDF. I have put a local copy here

I wonder who keeps that up to date? We have had older versions of this PDF here before. Somebody must (?) be digging up the legal references and compiling them. It would be really useful to contact them and find out more, because some of the statements (concerning national regs) have proved very difficult to verify. The name in that document is Patricia Felden.

I first saw your placard at the school in Arizona where I did my FAA IR

Administrator

Just spotted this here ( local copy )

So, a, ECAC-reg non-D-reg homebuilt, flying in Germany, is day VFR only and has to file a flight plan for every flight.

How come Germany reportedly has so many N-reg homebuilts?

Administrator

Our DR1050 is one. LAA expect CAA to formally approve them as an authority to do this by the end of 2016.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

has to file a flight plan for every flight.

It doesn’t say that. A flight plan must be filed to enter Germany. This is different from microlights from Belgium, Czech, France? (probably) that does not have to file a flight plan to enter Germany.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Peter wrote:

Somebody must (?) be digging up the legal references and compiling them.

When I research something like this seriously, I usually start by asking the relevant bureau/ agency/ etc. (I won’t bother them if I’m just curious). If it’s something I can’t find on their website, obviously. This must be rather straight forward for ECAC with member states (there must be someone in an NAA on top of this). No digging involved, just compiling.

Sign in to add your message