Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Homebuilt / ultralight / permit (non ICAO CofA) and IFR - how?

These flights are done mostly under IFR, due to the 3rd World mostly not recognising VFR. One old post here. Whether the UK based (G-reg) people got the CAA Permit amended to allow IFR, I have no idea.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think a lot of that is “just done” without worrying too much about the legislative fine print. It is probably a reasonable strategy for a round-the-world flight where you’re just passing through. I think it is a little trickier to fly around Europe without regard to the regulatory spiderweb.

Italy can apparently be added to the list of countries allowing experimental IFR: http://www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=25679

EGTR

yesombre wrote:

As a new pilot our N-reg. experimental is right now perfect for me

Honestly, it’s probably one of the least practical experimantal plane to use when flying around Europe. A US registered plane cannot benefit from ECAC. There are other options that are better. A plane registered in Norway, Sweden or Finland, would be much more practical, and fully IFR capable. Even a UK registered RV would be easier, but then you would have to “inspect” it every year.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

mmgreve wrote:

Italy can apparently be added to the list of countries allowing experimental IFR: http://www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=25679

Dude, if you start taking PlaneCheck adverts as reflecting the legislation then you will be in for a BIG surprise …

To wit:

There’s a Lancair Legacy registered F-WOAH, that’s also listed on PlaneCheck and the owner states it as “IFR” ….

In France, the F-W### means it has NO AIRWORTHINESS certificate and is in the temporary testing phase BEFORE a permanent AW Cert may (might ?) be established. This plane has been in this state ever since it was built !

Last Edited by Michael at 08 Sep 05:59
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

I had a long conversation with the owner / seller of F-WOAH , the Lancair Legacy listed on PlaneCheck.

The plane is on a temporary AW Cert. and has been ever since it was built. He handed the plane over for testing to the DGAC’s testing & certification grounds in Istres and they supposedly “approved” it for IFR flight, and despite that, he still has no permanent Airworthiness Cert !

Although he did not come right out and say it, I suspect the French CAA is putting the heat on and they could pull the plug on his temp pass at any moment.
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

I know this topic has been discussed before, but I can’t find an exhaustive answer to it:

Is it legally possible to fly an Experimental aircraft under IFR in European airspace?
And, if yes, under which circumstances?

I know it is not possible for e.g. a German registered Experimental. But what about, let’s say, a Swedish one (heard that there it is possible) in German airspace?

Is there a European consensus amongst the countries or does every single one have a different regulation?

May thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Christoph

Last Edited by Supersonic at 03 Nov 14:04
EDNG, EDST, EDMT, Germany

Sweden I know is possible.

A search with e.g. this

ifr AND homebuilt

(uppercase AND) digs out various threads. A few countries allow it, and the aircraft’s permit obviously must not have a VFR-only restriction.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Luxemburg allows it, Netherlands doesn’t. But immatriculation in Luxembourg is more expensive and more hassle than buying a certified IFR-equipped plane. Wasn’t there another country in the North-West?

Last Edited by a_kraut at 03 Nov 15:48
Bremen (EDWQ), Germany

a_kraut wrote:

Luxemburg allows it, Netherlands doesn’t.

Do you mean just registration or also airspace? If some countries don’t allow it in their airspace, then IFR becomes practically useless…

LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message