Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Homebuilt / ultralight / permit (non ICAO CofA) and IFR - how?

No, it is not mentioned

Bremen (EDWQ), Germany

Good translation, a_kraut. Indeed its a sensation that the LBA is moving. It is dep. T3, qualified and quick. Not always the standard at LBA. There has been a lot of work previously in the background I’m sure. The first planes could be some Vans. They fly for years and years under IMC in the states. Time now has come for Europe.

KHQZ, United States

That’s a Single seater/tandem cockpit?

Bremen (EDWQ), Germany

N748AK is a Vans RV-8, tandem two sealer.

A further discussion of IFR etc in these types is here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Lots of videos circulating in the world wide web show that people fly even hard IFR in microlights. And they can be bought with beautiful glass cockpits and working three axis autopilot (not allowed, I know). They are a lot cheaper to buy and maintain, fly fast and burn a lot less fuel.

Can anybody shed a light on the actual official development in this field? Are there any plans to open up night or IFR flight with microlight?

There are lots of arguments in any direction. What comes to my mind is lack of certified engines and so on, and this can be discussed in any length, however, any (three-axis) microlight is equipped with a parachute, so in fact there is some safety on board. And typically this is for one or two persons. Microlights can come a lot cheaper in operation and burn a lot less fuel. Newer developments even show turbines for microlights.

All this opens up a new world and I wonder whether regulating authorities are aware of all these new possibilities. Microlights are no longer garden mowers. They can perfectly fly a coupled LPV approach on autopilot. And I would prefer 100 times an actual microlight over a Cessna 150 in IMC, where the latter is allowed to fly it.

For example regulations already allow that I can fly a microlight in Charlie airspace given that I have an EASA PPL. Have done so regularly, even long-distance flights VFR above FL100, no difference to certified aircraft. This right is some sort of “grandfathering”. This could be extended to fly a respectively equipped microlight if the PPL provides for the respective rights (night or instrument). Of course prior to the flight the same questions about capabilities of the aircraft are asked regardless if it’s a Cessna 150 or any other low-capable aircraft. Technically the differences are fading away.

Same would apply somehow to experimentals.

Me thinks that allowing what is anyhow done would raise the safety level.

But on the other side, all this ultimately ends in the question whether standard certification levels are in fact necessary for a 1 or 2 person aircraft.

Last Edited by UdoR at 07 May 09:48
Germany

Lot of people who play that game in “advanced ultralight” or “220kts homebuilts” are usually IFR rated who had “enough” of certified 4 seats IFR….they sell it and go for 600kg 2 seats UL at 300k with G1000W+GFC500

The other thing about UL is the majority are owners clock load of hours and have a lot of experience and they know about their limits

The problem is the new breed who buy these advanced UL with zero prior experience, get taught by some random instructor and go the next day hanging on AP in bumpy cloud sitting on 10lbs/ft2 wing load

Last Edited by Ibra at 07 May 10:20
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

In theory the system will not allow you to file an IFR flight plan into airways? And if you plan to fly OCAS IMC, an airport in the UK with IFR approach control and an instrument approach is almost certainly going to MOR your arrival. Whether the local authority then grounds you or the aircraft, not sure, but you are likely to get some official communication.

It sounds like a minority sport.

I did notice the experimental Tarragon was cruising close to Vne, I hope the flutter testing produced a good margin of safety.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

UdoR wrote:

…working three axis autopilot (not allowed, I know).
regulations already allow that I can fly a microlight … given that I have an EASA PPL. … This right is some sort of “grandfathering”.

Remember that ULs are nationally regulated. E.g. none of the above is true in Sweden.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message