Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR Certified Homebuild Aircraft

In another thread I already wrote: Protection of the individual by the state is one of the pillars of the German (post war!) constitution. People inside aeroplanes and people staying on the ground have to be protected as good as humanly possible from the dangers of flying. Therefore the hurdles for approval of flying machines are set very high. This will not change unless the constitution is changed.

Ah, that makes sense – hence the draconian 80 km/h speed limit on German motorways…

A lot of regulation was created many decades ago, and has been overtaken by reality. As a result, a huge proportion of these rules no longer has a basis in fact, if indeed there ever was that basis. Arbitrary prohibitions, such as no night flight / IFR flight etc. based on artificial criteria (such as paperwork) should, if possible, be replaced with objective ones (such as ability to survive a lighting strike), and some regulators are now moving in this direction (see recent UK consultation on night flying).

Based on real-life accident rates, there is absolutely no safety case for glider cloud flying ratings, aerobatic ratings, and glider tug ratings, to name the three German contributions to EASA licencing, and data on the UK IMC rating clearly shows that there were ZERO fatalities during the approach phase for IMC ratings – and yet EASA has decided to exclude approaches from the Enroute IR. Likewise, the statistics in the US demonstrate that IFR in homebuilts does not significantly contribute to the risk over and above the risk of uncertified aircraft in general.

I hope that more and more regulators are taking the CAA’s position and move towards removing restrictions unless there is a case to keep them, as evidenced by their recent consultations on PCL or night flying for homebuilts.

Biggin Hill

hence the draconian 80 km/h speed limit on German motorways…

We really need a “SARCASM” emoticon here.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Link

During April 2014 we will provide approval for the Light Aircraft Association (LAA) to commence its night / IFR (instrument flight rules) certification programme. This will provide added incentive to GA pilots to train for instrument qualifications, helping them become safer pilots.

Not IFR, but: I’ve sent this query to the LAA:

I have logged 18 hours 55 minutes night flying in Jodel DR1050 aircraft, when they were on C of A. What is the situation with getting Night Flying approval for our DR1050 at permit renewal in July, in the light of the CAA document quoted? What equipment would be required? (A/H, nav lights, landing light, instrument lighting, radio, Mode S?)

I’m waiting for a reply before looking at IFR, and re-validating my IMC rating. (I’m night current on Pa28 – last winter.)

[quotes etc cleaned up]

Last Edited by Peter at 09 Jun 21:18
Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message