Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lancair 4P - Danish reg - "IFR"

Could it not be implemented as an engine power limitation (in terms of MP) when below a certain IAS?

I can’t remember what they did on the TBM but the cruise power limit was done by interlocking the throttle with the flap setting, or something like that. On the 850 that was removed, I seem to vaguely recall…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It could be implemented the way it was/is in the Merlin-engine Mustang: “Firewalling the throttle on takeoff / go-around will kill you. Exercise caution”.

The Columbia is basically a fixed geared Lancair IV

That’s what I thought at the beginning…. it is the certified version of the Lancair ES. The fuselage is the same as the IV, but the wing is different.

Lancair IV: Area 98 sq. ft., wing loading 36.2 lbs/sq. ft
Lancair ES: Wing Area 140 sq. ft., wing loading 21.4 lbs./sq. ft.

The Columbia has almost the same area as the ES (Cessna claims 141 sq ft) so is probably the same wing.

All three have about the same wingspan.

Biggin Hill

We had a IV-P on the Swedish register a number of years ago and it was “approved” for IFR simply through the equipment list.
There is no official “IFR approval” as there is in the US for example. This particular aircraft also had deice boots, hot prop and extra stuff to fly in Ice.

The airfield where it was based had a 1000m hard runway and he frequently used all of it to land, coming in over the fence at warp speed. The porpoising on landing was always fun to watch although I do believe one could do a better job at it, and it probably didn’t actually require all that speed on final. Some friends of mine went for a spin in it as he was planning on selling, but they came back with slight terror in their eyes.
It is a bit cramped, noisy, goes like hell and appears to be a handful. Must be lots of fun!

If the stall speed is 75 knots, 90-100kts should do it on final, not really an issue to handle and very common speeds for twins, but it does eat runway.

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

In my brief couple of rides in a friend’s Lancair IV, the act of landing in itself didn’t seem like a big deal, but getting rid of all the energy to get established on speed/on glide slope for final approach took a loooong time. Same thing with take-off: getting airborne with such a high wing loading is followed by a protracted procedure to get the thing cruising fast – which is what it is all about. The owner compared it to a Mustang in that regard, both being planes with high wing loading.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Jun 16:46
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message