Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Any non TSOd (non certified) avionics which do GPS approaches?

That’s either GPS/LNAV or GPS/LPV.

I am thinking about the Dynon kind of thing…

If not, how does the US Experimental community fly GPS approaches?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Advanced-flight-systems.com

Forever learning
EGTB

Yes Advanced, it requires a GTN/GNS and ARINC. Welcome to see it working in my plane.

Norman
United Kingdom

But a GNS or GTN is certified.

Administrator

You can fly uncertified GPS approaches on anything that can take a waypoint and OBS.

If you want the waypoints and QDM already programmed, SkyDemon and GPSILS both give synthesised glideslopes as well. The SD one stops at 500’ AGL GPSILS takes you all the way to the PAPIs/Numbers.

Last Edited by Timothy at 11 Sep 15:18
EGKB Biggin Hill

Yes but that wasn’t my question.

You “can” fly a zero-zero approach into a farm strip at night using a 50 quid GPS from a camping shop…

I was asking whether there are any uncertified GPS boxes which can provide guidance (L or L+V) on a GPS approach. To me, that means only one thing.

Administrator

SD and GPSILS both provide the equivalent of L and L+V.

Last Edited by Timothy at 11 Sep 23:20
EGKB Biggin Hill

Even in the US the required equipment must meet the requirements of the TSO – C129 for GPS, which basically means you can’t use a 695, 795 etc for either en-route or approach.
I believe that the installation also has to comply with ac20-130A too.

In principle you can use an alternative GPS source if you can show that it meets the minimum performance standard.

Transponders must ne TSO’d without exception.

I believe some of the EFISs use the Trig remote transponder which carries the TSO.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

To answer the original question our Dynon D1000 (Skyview) does not have any built in IFR capabilities. There is no way to load an approach into a flightplan. It will display approaches loaded from an attached certified GPS like a GTN or GNS but it’s own GPS and flight planning is VFR only. This is a deliberate policy by Dynon. It doesn’t even have an OBS mode though this is rumoured to appear soon.. A portable Garmin GPS 296 has more IFR capability than Skyview. For IFR think of the Dynon as a EFIS not a GPS.

Gloucester UK (EGBJ)

You can probably see what I am getting at: if European “homebuilts” get IFR privileges, will these be worth anything?

As far as I can see it works in the USA because the required equipment for IFR over there is just a VOR receiver. So any GPS gear you have installed is just nice… but as mentioned above if you want to fly GPS approaches you need a certified box.

I guess one reason why non certified boxes don’t do GPS approaches is to do with getting the Jeppesen approach databases. Or they might have chosen to not do it for liability limitation reasons – a “VFR” product cannot possibly kill anybody (because nobody will do a CFIT in VMC, will they ).

Administrator
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message