Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Any non TSOd (non certified) avionics which do GPS approaches?

Yes, but a s/h GNS430W coupled with a non-certified EFIS and AP gives you an enormous amount of functionality without anything like the cost of all-certified equipment.
Have you taken a look at Norman’s set-up?

Forever learning
EGTB

In the UK for IFR in homebuilds, we are going to require a certified GPS, same as we have certified radios. It will require testing yearly similar to present certified kit.

Norman
United Kingdom

You can probably see what I am getting at: if European “homebuilts” get IFR privileges, will these be worth anything?

Peter, for approaches think of the Dynon like a KFC150 and HSI. It does the same job. The external GTN/GNS drives the Dynon HSI. The Dynon’s HSI drives its internal autopilot. It will follow the needles including track and pitch so will fly any approach the HSI is following.

FYI LAA have set out some of the basic permit IFR requirements in an article in September’s “Popular Flying”. The editor has kindly agreed to publish the article for all on their website in due course so here is an extract:

Extract:

• The ANO specifies the equipment required to be fitted to access various classifications of airspace; this project does not change these requirements.
  • Aircraft instrumentation (e.g. fuel gauges,engine instruments etc) does not need to be certified.
  • Flight instrumentation (e.g. AI,DI,ASI etc,) does not necessarily need to be certified but careful attention must be paid to power systems and failure modes. Where an EFIS is used, the LAA will assess and accept each device individually. The owner will be responsible for providing the required data to enable assessment.
  • All transmitting equipment (e.g. radios, transponders etc,) must be certified but the installation can be inspected by an LAA inspector and approved by LAA engineering at HQ

So uncertified EFIS can be approved for IFR and the Dynon kit will be at the top of the evaluation list i’m sure.

Gloucester UK (EGBJ)

Now let me think about this ? ……….GPS LVP approach with a non certified GPS ?? ……….. As you break out of the 200 ft overcast is that the runway environment ?……………. Or is it Tesco’s car park ?

As you break out of the 200 ft overcast is that the runway environment ?……………. Or is it Tesco’s car park ?

It should actually work OK.

The lateral (and vertical if applicable) nav is provided by the certified GPS box. This outputs the lateral guidance either analog or ARINC429 to the “PFD” which then drives the autopilot. Same for the vertical guidance and this will be analog in all cases AFAIK (no ARINC429 option for a glideslope – conventional ILS or LPV).

The debate then comes down to whether an uncertified PFD/HSI/autopilot/whatever is good enough, and they probably can’t be any worse than the certified stuff much of which has clearly utterly bogus certifications which carry on only because nobody wants an AD grounding thousands of airframes including some spectacular cases like almost every Cessna Caravan made between 1999 and 2003

Except for a possible ARINC429 to analog conversion for the lateral guidance (which is done in “roll steering” – but do any uncertified avionics actually do this anyway?) the uncertified equipment signal path is just passing through the GPS-generated guidance.

The key thing is that the decoding of the GPS signal into the L+V deviations will be done using a certified GPS.

I also didn’t know for sure (though suspected) that there are no uncertified GPS boxes which can fly GPS approaches of any kind.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter, I hope you are correct ! The last thing I want to see is a permit aircraft involved in an accident that puts the permit aircraft IFR in doubt.

From what I have been able to find out, US Experimentals need to have equipment complying with FAR 91.205 (d) before they can fly IFR.

That isn’t very much, but in Europe we have RNAV1 (PRNAV) as potentially relevant, and LPV as perhaps more relevant in the coming years, and all these need certified boxes.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I wouldn’t expect any changes to this. It is quite liberal you CAN fly IFR with experimental in some countries.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Just found this one pages 27 and beyond: MGL Avionics EFIS will do a virtual ILS (called GLS) based on GPS (LPV like)

Belgium

Next finding: GRT has now implemented IFR approaches in their EFIS GPS software. According to their manual and website, they have access to both the FAA and Jeppesen approach database.

It is today not certified, so cannot be used for real IFR, but I would expect that their strategy is to get it certified. GRT ask USD750 for the software license and you need their certified 2020 GPS solution at USD495.

Would be good that other certified EFIS coming from the experimental world, read Dynon, are also thinking along this road… That would enable their certified customer base to get access to a complete avionics solution (2 EFIS screens, integrated certified GPS, 2 COM, ADS-B transponder, autopilot, EMS, 3rd EFIS as backup) for less than USD30K excluding install.
A downgraded version with 1 screen is at USD16K.

That would shaken the market!

Belgium
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message