Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Glasair Sportsman TD

In the newest Kitplanes magazine they have a large article about the brand new Glasair Sportsman TD. The airplane is also up for sale now at the Glasair web site in a “Two Weeks To Taxi” (TWTT) variant. The TWTT is new to me, but apparently it consists of going to the factory and building your aircraft under heavy supervision, and it takes two weeks. The Sportsman TD is only available in the TWTT variant due to the rather complex engine.

I’m not sure if this link works without a subscription, but a post it in case it does.

The price for a brand new TD is US$ 245,000.- An insane price for an experimental aircraft, but taking into account the virtually non existent building time, this is not expensive compared with other diesel powered aircraft.

The engine is a Continental/Thielert 2.0 TD, an the aircraft is a Glasair Sportsman. It flies better in every respect compared with a C-172, looks much better also. It’s a STOL that cruises at 135 knots.

All in all, this must be the best diesel powered aircraft money can by at the moment. Most “bang for the buck” by far. At the same price as a high end microlight, you get a brand new 4 seater (2+2) with a brand new and certified Continental diesel with FADEC and MT constant speed prop. Being an experimental, it can not be used for training, but that’s about it.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

@jujupilote, I think when they’ve stopped manufcaturing kits for Glasair II/Glasair III and sold it off, they lost all advantage they had…

EGTR
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message