Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR in homebuilts - UK LAA programme (merged)

Could say a PA-28 be moved to LAA register?

If someone holds a type certificate for support, they can prevent the aircraft becoming EASA ANNEX 2. Piper would be unlikely to allow this for a Pa28. While DR1050s went from Certified to Annex 2, Permit, DR250s are not allowed, though UK owners would like this.
And what about IFR in wood-and-fabric aircraft, with respect to lightning? There were airliners with wood and fabric parts in the past.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Maoraigh wrote:

And what about IFR in wood-and-fabric aircraft, with respect to lightning? There were airliners with wood and fabric parts in the past.

And certified GA types, operating under IFR today.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Dec 21:03

It’s an interesting Q. I think wood is very slightly conductive and doesn’t suffer much from static. But obviously you won’t get lightning protection, so there is the risk of damage to control linkages etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A few years ago a twin glider ( Very little electrics aboard some electronics, structure all e-glass and usually control rods and controls all bonded ) was lost to a lighting strike. Clear air at the time, quite some lateral separation from cloud. Destroyed bits of the airframe and some control rods and two occupants took to nylon canopies.

I doubt lightning is limited to IMC conditions whatever the regulations say! :)

It's not rocket science!

It doesn’t always have to end this way in a plastic homebuilt:

This is a Europa which encountered a lightning strike enroute from Sweden to Finland in the proximity of a TS.
OTOH parachutes won’t hurt

Last Edited by europaxs at 13 Dec 16:27
EDLE

What was the internal damage? Normally the current passes through the aircraft, from one wingtip to the other.

Administrator

I don’t know about the amount of internal damage and neither if/how that was checked. But I know that the aircraft is flying since that event (I believe it was in 2008) throughout Europe

I will ask the owner occasionally.

EDLE

The glider lightning strike was very high current – the control rods melted. It’s possible a certified aircraft would not have survived. Parts of the melted tubes were on display at safety evenings.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I have the following from an RV owner, for posting here:

Administrator

It is my RV and the LAA told me at the Aeroexpo yesterday that it is the second aircraft to be cleared by the LAA.
The process of clearing LAA aircraft is documented on the LAA site, but for the casual reader I will outline the process.

• The owner has to provide evidence that the plane is suitable both structurally and equipment wise, then apply to the LAA.
• The LAA will appoint an Accessor (an aviation professional engineer) who will assess the plane and write a report, this may include test flying.
• If the aircraft is the “First of Type” it will require a test flight report from an LAA appointed test pilot who needs to be equivalent to an Empire Test Pilot (i.e. the old
Boscombe Down test pilots). In my case this took a whole day, starting with a careful W&B calculation so we could take off with max weight and most rear arm.
• Standard Radio and Pitot/Static tests at an approved shop.
• Write: a Pilots Operating Handbook, A tailored Maintenance Schedule, an Electrical power and Load Analysis report, Fault Tolerance report and an Equipment List, all to be approved by a new class of LAA inspector with Night/IFR qualification.

The Assessor, Test Pilot, Inspector and a Night/IFR fee to the LAA to be paid by the owner.

Edit -Tried to sort out bullet points.

Last Edited by Norman at 02 Jun 08:44
Norman
United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message