Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR in homebuilts - UK LAA programme (merged)

This has been ongoing for well over a year but some info is now in the public domain:

They are now testing with a group comprising of RV6, RV7A, RV9, RV10, Lancair 320, Cozy, Long-EZ, Auster, Jodel 1050, Condor.

Interestingly regarding this thread they will be using the RV6 and the 7A to check how similar the handling qualities are to a batch they tested earlier.

Regarding EFIS, they have approved the G900 only so far, without changes.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The Jodel DR1050 is an “orphan”, and could fly at night and IFR while on a C of A, (until 2008?). I’ve never flown one IFR, but have 17 hours night flying in them.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

This LAA thread has some info.

The types under consideration were at the time

A more current list, late 2014, is seven lines shorter but is not yet authorised for publication.

Interestingly they have set 60kg/m2 as the minimum wing loading, for stability in turbulence (IMC).

Administrator

Do you happen to know if the ‘restricted’ list has the Jodel D140 on it?

No Jodels.

Administrator

Thanks Peter,

That’s a shame, I wonder why?

Any idea when this data will be made public?

Nick

I don’t know. I have to respect the requirement for confidentiality. I guess you could contact the LAA directly and just press them for an update.

My guess is that they are keeping it under wraps till they are done, because anybody whose plane fails to meet the requirements is going to kick up a big stink. It looks like a volunteer effort and the LAA is under-resourced especially for this project. Already, the timescale required to process the anticipated number of applicants (which is not big anyway) runs into some years…

Administrator

Is it too much to hope that the LAA engineer who crippled G-reg Zenith 701s by limiting them to one stage of flap won’t ruin this laudable project as well?

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

According to an article in the LAA mag, May 2015, the guy in charge is Peter Pengilly.

Administrator

Just wondering about the Liberty XL 2 on the list since it’s certified and IFR-approved anyway.

Unfortunately the Europa is currently no longer a participant of the trial, although matching the required wing-load.

EDLE
117 Posts
Sign in to add your message