Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flaris LAR-01 jet

It is “homebuilt” (well, experimental), can handle grass strips, has two doors and has enough range to go down to Greece in one hop.

Looks are a matter of taste…

www.flaris.pl

They are in the wrong business… should be in banking…

I should probably go into banking too

The spec does look amazing

Obviously this is a very early project…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

They did the taxi tests a while back and they’re looking at flying it now.

Apparently they already flew a 1:3 scale version of it.

A jet at FL280 max? That looks like nonsense.

They can’t achieve RVSM without spending serious money on avionics, I guess.

Even if the spec is substantially optimistic, it will still be amazing. With a projected MTOW of 1500kg they have a long way to go before exceeding the Europe-critical 2000kg figure at which the operating costs would take a big jump. Also with a “big” plane everything else rockets up – landing fees, hangarage, etc go up several times.

Going for 1500kg rather than say 1900kg is clever because you end up with a much smaller plane which needs smaller wings and everything else and for a given size engine goes a lot faster. I guess at the 1900kg level (Jetprop) it is impossible to achieve a Vs around 60kt without going to a ~15m wingspan and everything else that follows from that. But it’s going to be hard because even a TB20 is 1400kg and that isn’t even pressurised.

1400nm with reserves at FL280 is really good, for Europe. You can outclimb most weather.

But practically all projects like this do fail, so anybody putting money down needs to be able to just lose it. It isn’t the IFD540 kind of $10k or whatever downpayment, where losing the $10k isn’t going to wipe you out.

Administrator

Hasn’t harmed Cirrus!

But the Cirrus Jet’s performance numbers look terrible. It does look better than this thing though.

EGTK Oxford

Nothing wrong with the way it looks

Administrator

If the engine is optimised for that level, why not. I just come back from flying: this morning we did two domestic sectors, one at FL300, the other at 310 (with an aeroplane certified for FL450). For not more than five minutes at cruising level, thereafter we had to descend “at 2000ft/min or more”. We could as well have stayed at 280. Fuel burn and flying time would have been worse by 2 or 3 percent at most.

Above FL280, there is not only the RVSM problem, but pressurisation and emergency oxygen supply become more and more of an issue. Especially in a single, where the least problem with your engine will bring about pressurisation problems as well.

And regarding the figures quoted above (especially the 700km/h (rocket assisted Vne dive ? )) I learned something very useful in my flying time: “Only believe those figures that you yourself have seen with your own eyes in a real plane during a real flight” and “Believe absolutely nothing about an aeroplane that has not flown yet. Nothing, really nothing at all.

Last Edited by what_next at 11 May 11:07
EDDS - Stuttgart

I can’t get my head around the “removable wings” thing. They may well be light enough to handle around on their own (supposing the unsuspecting passengers lend a helping hand), but what if they’re half full with fuel sloshing around? Is one going to have to d!ck around with fuel line connectors if you take them off?

39 Posts
Sign in to add your message