Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ECAC Status for homebuilt / experimental (flight privileges within Europe)

My personal experience was flying an N-reg experimental from the US to the UK, where I finally re-registered it.

To do that, I needed authorisations from Canada, Denmark (for Greenland and the Faeroes), Iceland and the UK.

There was often inconsistencies between what restrictions are described in Gen 1.4 of the relevant AIP and those that are specified on the authorisation. I was able to fly IFR from Iceland to the UK and in Canada, but the Greenland authorisation was VFR only (they also didn’t allow flying over densely populated areas in Greenland!)

Denmark was the most expensive at DKK3,170 (£300) for a single trip. Iceland was 19,960 ISK (£100) and the UK was £64. Canada was free.

So nearly £500 in paperwork fees for one trip. Those charges would have been zero or minimal if it was a European registered homebuilt

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

So nearly £500 in paperwork fees for one trip. Those charges would have been zero or minimal if it was a European registered homebuilt

If it was an EU registered homebuilt, how would you have departed from Canada? I understand that an Oceanic crossing MUST be IFR when leaving Canada… Could you do the northern route? Does that need Oceanic Clearence?

EDHS, Germany

If it was an EU registered homebuilt, how would you have departed from Canada? I understand that an Oceanic crossing MUST be IFR when leaving Canada… Could you do the northern route? Does that need Oceanic Clearence?

You’re correct that the “Northern route” avoids Gander and Shanwick Oceanic control areas. I went Frobisher-Jakobshavn,-Kulusuk-Reykjavic-Egillstadir-Wick http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=khhr-ksez-3f3-klal-kbgr-cyzv-cykl-cyfb-bgjn-bgsf-bgkk-bikf-bieg-ekvg-egpc&DU=nm&SG=150&SU=kts

So you do not require HF radio and you can file VFR. Whether you can get VMC is another matter!

Being able to go IFR does simplify matters irrespective of actual flight conditions (which were generally good on my trip).

I was able to fly IFR from Iceland to the UK and in Canada, but the Greenland authorisation was VFR only (they also didn’t allow flying over densely populated areas in Greenland!)

Populated with what? walrus maybe

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Ah, so it is possible to go east in a European permit you are giving me ideas… Last year I did the Goose Bay to Narsarsuaq crossing in the right hand seat of a PA46, and concluded I would never do that in a non-pressurised SEP. But the northern route looks interesting.

Does the ECAC agreement on Permits stretch to Greenland and the Faroe Islands being Denmark/Danish territory? That would leave just Iceland and Canada to obtain permission from.

Last Edited by italianjon at 19 Apr 22:33
EDHS, Germany

Greenland appear to accept European homebuilts without prior permission. Iceland make no specific mention in their AIP although they do require you and your aircraft to be IFR qualified and at least 500 hrs PIC for single engine flights (possibly they could negotiate exceptions as I note several flights that would not have met that requirement).

One big hurdle is insurance as most European cover will exclude Greenland and possibly Iceland and US standard cover stops at Canada and Mexico. Beyond that requires negotiation and paying large premiums for the privilege of routing through Iceland and Greenland.

Yes, as with most things aviation, an admin nightmare. It’s probably one of those things that once you have done it once and know exactly where to apply for your permissions it becomes easy.

I have also heard of flights to from Iceland VFR, and have been puzzled how they did it. I was aware of the IFR requirement but not the 500 hours. Time based competency does make me chuckle sometimes, 10 hours of crossing international borders will prepare you for that flight far more than 500 hours of crop spraying, for example.

EDHS, Germany

Does the ECAC agreement on Permits stretch to ….

Does it cover Spain?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have also heard of flights to from Iceland VFR, and have been puzzled how they did it.

Quoting a friend of mine who ferried an AN-2 from Russia to Iceland, there are two methods to fly VMC to Iceland: June and July.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Of necessity, homebuilders sometimes operate on the margins when it comes to getting the overflight or landing permits (and other legality aspects – let’s face it, if you were legally anal you would not be a homebuilder in the first place, would you? )

We do our best to obey the laws of physics at least

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message