Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

RV-4 Engine; O320E2A 150 to 160hp upgrade

Silvaire wrote:

Does that in summary mean E10 labelled fuel contains 10% but the other fuel may legally contain 0-5% alcohol too

It is always “up to”. Usually the actual numbers are much lower. E10 up to 10% ethanol, the other fuels up to 5%. With crude oil being so cheap, there is very little incentive to mix in a lot of expensive ethanol at the moment.

spirit49 wrote:

an good A&P would be willing to assemble one after all the parts have been out for repair/OH/inspection. So I might go that way.

I would not do that. You will miss both the experience and the tools. Easy to get a bearing not correctly aligned and your engine will seize up later and be finished (crankcase scratched). Rather get it overhauled but for experimental use and not with Form 1, that should be a lot cheaper.

Silvaire wrote:

but the other fuel may legally contain 0-5% alcohol too

Not necessarily. You have to look at the datasheets. It can vary from company to company and country to country, and for different “blends” even though the octane number is the same. For instance Shell 95 containes 0-5% ethanol, but Shell FuelSave 95 contains no ethanol. 98 octane usually contains no ethanol.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Petersen also sells a fuel alcohol tester. Vliegwerk Holland is their European agent.

Last Edited by Jesse at 05 Nov 23:21
JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Sebastian_G wrote:

Auto fuel in Germany can contain up to 5%. Usually it is less but there is no guarantee.

Sebastian_G wrote:

Finally for cars they also sell so called E10 fuel which contains 10% alcohol in order to reduce oil consumption. If this was a good idea remains an open question. But very important this does not mean all the other fuels are alcohol free. It is simply up to the refinery if they mix it in or not.

Does that in summary mean E10 labelled fuel contains 10% but the other fuel may legally contain 0-5% alcohol too… unlabeled at the pump? That clarification would be useful for anybody trying to operate under STCs in Germany (or operate a vehicle with a polyester resin fiberglass fuel tank!). It would seem to me misleading to prominently label E10 as having 10% alcohol but also include a substantial amount of alcohol in unlabeled fuel sold at the same pump.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 05 Nov 23:22

So is all Auto Fuel in Europe free of Alcohol, or only the fuel sold at airport?

Auto fuel in Germany can contain up to 5%. Usually it is less but there is no guarantee. Especially the premium 100 octane fuels will usually be completely alcohol free. But if you want to be sure you have to run a check on each delivery batch. Some airfields buy a full truck load of this fuel check the sample and then use it. Total also used to sell auto fuel at airports where they did assure no alcohol was mixed in but they did stop to do so and it was expensive.

Finally for cars they also sell so called E10 fuel which contains 10% alcohol in order to reduce oil consumption. If this was a good idea remains an open question. But very important this does not mean all the other fuels are alcohol free. It is simply up to the refinery if they mix it in or not.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

In Germany I’ve noticed you can buy auto fuel at the pump with or without alcohol, labeled as such.

So is all Auto Fuel in Europe free of Alcohol, or only the fuel sold at airport?

Of the people I have spoken with the last couple of days, they are 50/50 divided on the fact that the 160hp can use auto fuel(super 95) or not.

spirit49
LOIH

Peter, there are no altitude or other operational restrictions on either of the FAA auto fuel STCs incorporated for my O-320 and A65 powered aircraft. Neither has a modified fuel system, although some aircraft types required modifications, or were found unsuitable. A lot of it is described on the website(s), which I think today exist to support STC sales to operators outside of the US. Almost all these STCs were done in the 80’s (thirty years ago) and are otherwise mostly inactive (i.e. dead except on paper) due to the inapplicability of current US auto fuel containing alcohol.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 05 Nov 23:26

Is there a max altitude on this Mogas STC?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If you do the 160HP upgrade the Peterson Mogas STC advocates for redesign of the fuel system (Two fuel pumps, one always running), at least in a PA28.

20 Posts
Sign in to add your message